Find the answer to your Linux question:
Im running Xebian (Debian) for xbox. I have swat installed to configure samba. I have a root dir named "/samba_share" and i have that put into swat as my path. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Samba and Swat help

Im running Xebian (Debian) for xbox. I have swat installed to configure samba. I have a root dir named "/samba_share" and i have that put into swat as my path. Read only is set to no, and guest is set to ok, and browseable is set to yes. On my XP machine i go to view workgroup computers but its not listed there, so i goto microsoft windows network and it shows "Xebian", so i click on it, and then it shows my server "workgroup server (samba 3.0.14a-Debian)(Workgroup)" In swat under Globals i have the workgroup being "WORKGROUP" and netbios name to be "XBOXSERVER". So my firt question is why is my samba server not in the same workgroup as my computers. My computers are all joined in workgroup called "Workgroup". My next problem is after i navagate to my xboxserver under microsoft windows network, and i double click to access my /samba_share directory, it asks for a username and password. BUt i dont have one that works for it, and cant figure out how to make one with the swat passwords utility. Please help. Thanks

Justin

Checkout this article for setting up a samba server. My guess for the reason why your xbox doesn't show is this, Linux is case sensitive Workgroup is not the same as WORKGROUP.

As for the password, if you have access to the command line on the xbox, then use smbpasswd to set the passwords. Or change the security level to share.
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

Just Joined!
    Thanks for your response, i will read over it, and hopefully it will solve my problem.
    Another quick question, i use a program PuTTY to ssh into my linux box. I log in with username root, after i put in my password it says
    workgroup:~#
    there is only one file in this dir.
    so i do "cd .." to backup a dir and then my command line looks like
    workgroup:/#
    whats the differance between ~ and / ?
    Thanks, as you can tell im new and learning, i appreciate your help.

Just Joined!
    In samba, it uses usernames and passwords from linux. What can i do to limit these users ability to log in and do things with my linux server? I just want them to be able to log into samba but not really be able to issue commands to the linux server itself. Also, i want to make a public share that anyone can use, and have a guest account with not password. Can i make such a thing where the user from windows can log on to samba with username Guest, no password, and only be able to access one shared folder? I dont want this guest account to be able to sign into my linux box though.

Also, once someone is logged into samba, it keeps them logged in. Is there a way that i can make it so that if the file browser window is closed they must re-login to get back in. As it sits now, if someone logs in it keeps them logged in.

Thanks

Sorry for the late reply,

the ~ indicates home directory, the / means that it is not in home dir, just somewhere in the root directory. To see where exactly you are, use the pwd command.

for the accessing other sections of your linux box: If they are using windows and accessing via Samba, then all they will see is the share and nothing more. However if they use ssh, then I am not exactly sure how to go about protecting your server.

For the autologout thing, I am sure there is a timeout field which you can set in smb.conf (the exact syntax escapes me at the moment).
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

Linux Enthusiast
    You can configure SSH access just like any other configuration. You can allow and deny SSH access based upon user account similar to FTP, etc.