Find the answer to your Linux question:
ok guys here my question/problem alright i need to configure my samba so that i can share with the other systems on my network which all will be loaded to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

samba file sharing & dhcp

ok guys here my question/problem
    alright i need to configure my samba so that i can share with the other systems on my network which all will be loaded to linux or windows at any time and any mixture. now i know samba can handle it. the problem im running into is i need to configure it to work with my dhcp network. currently i have no one system acting as a server as my DSL modem is working on DHCP as the server allowing all to access the internet flawlessly(and id rather not change this seting) so if anyone could send me in the direction of a howto or previous post(i tried the search but i dont have much luck finding usefull info) and all the howtos i can find on the internet using google all are based from running smb in static mode. anways if anyone can help id apreciate it.

Linux Enthusiast
    Your post is rather confusing, but your Linux machine will run Samba with a dynamic IP address; however, this isn't advisable. You can set a static IP address beneath your DHCP scope and it shouldn't interfere with your network. You can also set a reservation in your router config which is also an option.