Find the answer to your Linux question:
Sorry if this is posted in the wrong place, but it's the closest I could see in the main list. If there's a better place, let me know and I'll ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

CSS/forms problem - Linux vs Windows

Sorry if this is posted in the wrong place, but it's the closest I could see in the main list. If there's a better place, let me know and I'll post there.

I have a section on a webpage that for some reason shows up differently on Windows Firefox v1.5.0.5 than on Debian Linux Firefox v1.5.0.5.

Everything is coded in fully-compliant CSS and XHTML 1.0 strict.

Unfortunately I can't post a link to the site because it's running on a company intranet, but here's a snippet of the HTML:

Code:
    <form id="recallForm" action="" onsubmit="return validate()" method="post"><div>

<input type="radio" name="system" value="Pulse" onclick="showSelector()" checked="checked" />&nbsp;Pulse <input style="display: none" type="radio" name="system" value="VAX" onclick="hideSelector()"  />&nbsp;<br />
      <select id="selector" name="record"><option value="both">SALE and PLOT</option><option value="sale">SALE</option><option value="plot">PLOT</option></select><br />

<select name="cell"><option value="All">All</option></select><br />
      <select name="engine"><option value="All">All</option></select><br />

<select name="runType"><option value="All">All</option></select><br />

<input id="resetButton" type="button" value="Reset Fields" onclick="resetFields()" />
      <input type="text" name="serial" value="" /><br />
      <input type="text" name="build" value="" /><br />
      <input type="text" name="run" value="" /><br />
      <input type="text" name="comment" value="" /><br />
      <input type="text" name="bDate" value="" />&nbsp;(i.e. 01/01/2006, 3/8/2002, 7/21/1995) <span id="inval3" style="display: none; color: red; font-weight: bold;">Invalid Date Entered!</span><br />

<input type="text" name="eDate" value="" />&nbsp;(i.e. 01/01/2006, 3/8/2002, 7/21/1995) <span id="inval4" style="display: none; color: red; font-weight: bold;">Invalid Date Entered!</span><br />
      <br />
      <input type="submit" value="Search Now" />

</div></form>

<form action="files/download.php" method="post"><div style="position: relative;">
      <select id="searchList" name="results"><option value="default">Search Results</option></select><br />

<input id="downloadButton" name="download" type="submit" value="Download Selected File" disabled="disabled" />

</div></form>

<form action="files/downloadMult.php" method="post"><div style="position: relative;">
      <textarea name="results" style="display: none" rows="5" cols="5">
        No Search        </textarea>

<input id="downloadMult" name="downloadMult" type="submit" value="Download All Files" onclick="dlAllSubmit()" disabled="disabled" />
    </div></form>
    View from Firefox on Windows

View from Firefox on Debian Linux

Anyone have an idea as to why these are so different??

I've seen references to issues with differing fonts, which it looks like they may vary slighty here, but that doesn't seem to explain all of it, and I don't have control over the user's fonts anyway...

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by cold_candor; 07-29-2006 at 12:40 AM. Reason: Added rationale for posting in this forum group

Linux Enthusiast
    What version Web server platform are you using, IIS or Apache?

Server

Quote Originally Posted by gtmtnbiker98
    What version Web server platform are you using, IIS or Apache?
    Sorry, it's Apache 2.0 or 2.2, I forget specifically.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    BTW, Ignore the fact that the radio buttons are different, that was simply due to a slighly different version of the page.

Linux Enthusiast
    I've had a similar problem in the past using Apache 2 and a simple site removal and reposting with an in-between restart cured the problem; however, this particular Web site was rather static. You may try emptying the HTLM directory, either www or htdocs depending upon distro, restart the apache daemon and try copying the HTML files back and see what happens.

Certainly worth pointing out to our server admin. Thanks for the advice!

Anyone have other ideas?