Find the answer to your Linux question:
I've configured sendmail as a mail relay server and it worked fine. Now I'v installed Vexira virusscanner for mailservers that uses port 25 and configured sendmail to use port 825. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Sendmail error: User unknown

I've configured sendmail as a mail relay server and it worked fine. Now I'v installed Vexira virusscanner for mailservers that uses port 25 and configured sendmail to use port 825. It worked a few times till now. I can connect to sendmail on port 825 with telnet, but it keeps telling me that the user I enter as rcpt to: is an unknown user. I only can send e-mail to local users (e.g. root, uucp and deamon). I've checked the configuration over and over again, but can't find the sollution. Any idea's?
    Thanks in advance!

Linux Guru
    Can you give an example of the entire RCPT command that you type in (that doesn't work, that is)?

Just Joined!
    I connect to sendmail on port 825 with telnet (so, bypassing Vexira virusscanner): telnet 192.168.0.6 825
    Then the following commands:
    helo independer.nl
    mail from: user@independer.nl
    rcpt to: user@independer.nl
    Then it gives the error message: "User unknown"

I also noticed just a few minutes ago that nothing is logged no more in /var/log/maillog.

Just Joined!
    I got the logging problem fixed. Just renamed maillog, deleted the syslog entry for mail and created an new one.

Just Joined!
    Found the sollution! Somehow I entered independer.nl as an Local Domain in sendmail configuration. Ofcourse sendmail will never find the user... (yep, I know, very stupid... )

Thanks!