Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have set up a Samba/LDAP PDC for my small office network. I understand that this machine has to be the DNS for the network. However, I connect to the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

DNS Dilemas

I have set up a Samba/LDAP PDC for my small office network. I understand that this machine has to be the DNS for the network. However, I connect to the internet through a NAT router/modem/VPN/DHCP box. Should I tell the desktop machines to have the server as primary DNS, the server to have iteself as primary and the router as secondary, and the router to use its defaults?

As the router handles DHCP, it also provides DNS addresses. Would there be any harm in setting the routers primary DNS to the server and leaving the secondary as default.

I guess I should make the server to the DHCP but I haven't got round to that yet.

Linux Enthusiast
    Wouldn't it be easier to setup a forwarder?

Just Joined!
    Hi,

I use a simular setup for my home server and network. It appears to work providing the computers on the network query the server DNS first. If the address is not found then the server contacts WWW DNS servers through the router. I am not serving anything to the world beyond my network so i do not require port forwarding however, i beleive if UDP was forwarded ns1 (resolving to 192.168.1.100) would be queried for outside queries.

Disclamer: I know bugger all about DNS/DHCP servers as mine has only been running for about 48 hrs.

Hope this helps!

James

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close