Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm at a company with about 70 people and growing, researching a groupware alternative to Exchange that will run on linux. Most users are running outlook so a strong outlook ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Opinions on Scalix or other solutions as a linux groupware solution

I'm at a company with about 70 people and growing, researching a groupware alternative to Exchange that will run on linux.
    Most users are running outlook so a strong outlook connector will be needed.

I'm looking at scalix at the moment because of the outlook conector and because it will run on Suse. Zimbra network edition will only run on red hat enterprise currently and our admin abhors it.

I've looked at Horde, but Icalendar support isn't fully integrated til outllook2007. I tried the kerio mail server out on a windows machine, You can share calendars/contacts/folders from the web and through the outlook conector. Although it works, I'd rather have a more seemless outlook sharing experience which I hear Scalix provides.

Is anyone running scalix or another compreable alternative in a business setting with any opinions on this solution? Outlook integration? Mobile access?

Thanks in advance-

Linux Enthusiast
    Have you looked at Open Xchange? http://www.open-xchange.com/EN/

Just Joined!
    I haven't looked into it too much -I'll take a look - thanks. Have you heard any feedback from anyone running it in a large business enviornment?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Enthusiast
    Personally, if my job or reputation depended upon it being successful, I would stick to MS Exchange Server.

especially if the majority of the userbase was using outlook.

Sure most of these other products offer "connector" programs to be instaled on the client, but in my experience those can create big headaches.

if you have a mostly outlook user base and they would like to have their email backed up and be able to share calendars and such, I would also go with exchange. If you choose another method and then later go to exchange it will create a huge mess for the admins. Just my opinion. we currently are about to start migrating to exchange from another product and we have a pretty large user base that is probably 99.8% outlook.

as we have found out, when a machine crashes and someone loses all of their email or a calender it may be a big problem, especially if they are an executive. thats what got the ball rolling for us to get exchange.