Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm using Ubuntu 6.06.1 LTS (Server-only package) Here's the error I'm getting: "checking for termcap functions library... configure: error: No curses/termcap library found" I installed the following library, but MySQL ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

MySQL 4.0.27 won't compile -- needs "Termcap

I'm using Ubuntu 6.06.1 LTS (Server-only package)

Here's the error I'm getting:
    "checking for termcap functions library... configure: error: No curses/termcap library found"

I installed the following library, but MySQL 'configure' still reports the same problem:

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    The termcap-compat package provides the libtermcap.so.2 and /etc/termcap files which are required to run non-Debian, binary-only termcap-based programs. Since libc6-based programs are hopefully "modern" enough to be linked with ncurses (or slang), this package only provides a libc5-based libtermcap library.

You do not need to install this package to run Debian-packaged programs since Debian GNU/Linux uses terminfo and not termcap. You need this package if a program (that you cannot recompile) fails to run with the error message "...: can't load library 'libtermcap.so.2'" or complains about a missing /etc/termcap file.

The termcap-compat package isn't meant to be used to compile programs therefore it doesn't provide all the necessary files for compilation. If you want to compile a program that claims to need termcap, why not try ncurses's termcap emulation instead? It's as simple as linking with ncurses instead of libtermcap (i.e. replace the '-ltermcap' with '-lncurses' in the makefile). Ncurses' termcap emulation routines translate terminfo entries to termcap entries on the fly, so you don't even need an /etc/termcap file.

This package provides:

libtermcap.so shared library, version 2.0.8
    termcap database, version 10.2.7
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

here is the easist mysql install I have ever found
    http://www.devside.net/web/server/linux/mysql