Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I have set up an Ubuntu Server 6.06 web server in my home. I registered my domain name, I set up dynamic DNS with zoneedit and verified that the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Web Server Not Accessible

Hello,

I have set up an Ubuntu Server 6.06 web server in my home. I registered my domain name, I set up dynamic DNS with zoneedit and verified that the IP address is being updated, and I pointed the name server entries at my registrar to the appropriate server names provided by zoneedit. I have a Netgear WGR614 router and I have configured port forwarding to the Ubuntu web server. My ISP has assured me that port 80 is not blocked, and I ran nmap to confirm that it is not. From within my home network I can type my domain name in a browser from another computer and get to the web page successfully. However, from the Internet (outside of my network), users cannot access the site; it keeps timing out. It seems to me that the issue is with the router. I tried to put the server out on the DMZ, but that did not work either. I was told that putting it out on the DMZ is not necessary.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

lugos

Linux Engineer
    did you point your domain name to your ip from your registrar's home page in addition to the dns customizations?

Quote Originally Posted by lugos
    Hello,

I have set up an Ubuntu Server 6.06 web server in my home. I registered my domain name, I set up dynamic DNS with zoneedit and verified that the IP address is being updated, and I pointed the name server entries at my registrar to the appropriate server names provided by zoneedit. I have a Netgear WGR614 router and I have configured port forwarding to the Ubuntu web server. My ISP has assured me that port 80 is not blocked, and I ran nmap to confirm that it is not. From within my home network I can type my domain name in a browser from another computer and get to the web page successfully. However, from the Internet (outside of my network), users cannot access the site; it keeps timing out. It seems to me that the issue is with the router. I tried to put the server out on the DMZ, but that did not work either. I was told that putting it out on the DMZ is not necessary.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

lugos
    I had an issue lke yours, I set up port forwarding and everything and it just wouldn't work. It turned out that my modem ALSO had NAT so that I had to turn off the NAT on my modem and just let my router do the work.
    Registered GNU/Linux User #399198
    'Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.' -Steven Wright

Linux Enthusiast
    Are you sure that the domain name is pointing to the correct IP address - using nslookup? Also, bear in mind, that DNS replication takes some time to succeed.

make sure you're not using an internal ip for your DNS name.

if you supplied 192.168.x.xxx then you've given them an internal IP most likely. Find your external IP (visit http://www.whatsmyip.org)