Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm running Samba on a RedHat Linux 8.0 machine and on Win2k I am able to see the server in Network Neighborhood but it won't let me browse. I am ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Samba and "\\server not accesible; The network pat, Nee

I'm running Samba on a RedHat Linux 8.0 machine and on Win2k I am able to
    see the server in Network Neighborhood but it won't let me browse. I am

using webmin to manage Samba. Here is the view of the samba settings.

#samba config file created with webmin

[global]
    log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
    load printers = yes
    smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
    passwd chat = *New*password* %n\n *Retype*new*password* %n\n *passwd:*all*authentication*tokens*updated*success fully*
    obey pam restrictions = yes
    socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=8192 SO_SNDBUF=8192
    force directory mode = 755
    null passwords = yes
    encrypt passwords = yes
    passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
    dns proxy = no
    netbios name = GAUTAM
    server string = Samba Server
    printing = lprng
    default = global
    path = /root/Nitin
    unix password sync = yes
    force create mode = 755
    workgroup = WORKGROUP
    os level = 20
    comment = Nitin Personal
    printcap name = /etc/printcap
    security = share
    max log size = 0
    pam password change = yes

[nitin]
    comment = My Personel
    writeable = yes
    valid users = administrator
    user = administrator
    write list = administrator
    path = /root/anit
    directory mode = 775

PLease Help...
    I am able to browse win2k throgh smbclient but not able to browse through win2k

Reply...

Linux User
    it wont let you browse in the sense you cannot access folders and files?
    what error message are you getting?
    Fixing Unix is better than working with Windows.
    http://nikhilk.homedns.org/projects/index.html

Linux User

logs

go to /var/log/samba and then delete all the logs in this folder.

then try and access the box through the win2k machine and examine the logs again.

I have found this really good in tracking down whats wrong.

Also run testparm to make sure there is nothing wrong with your samba conf. use -v for verbose mode to see what the default values on other directives are.

From win2k you can see the samba box but nothing else. right?
    So try setting the share [nitin] to browseable = yes.

then ensure that the user administrator has the correct file access permissions to the /root/nitin directory.
    To test this properly try using nautilus to go to smb://GAUTAM if this works then its probably a user thing. like some versions of windows not liking accessing shares as other users.

have a try at some of this then post snippets from the log files up.
    No trees were harmed during the creation of this message. Its made from a blend of elephant tusk and dolphin meat.

Linux Newbie
    Go in Win2k to

Start -> Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Local Security Settings

Click in the Treelist Local Policies -> Security Options and then

goto Send Unencrypted Password To connect to Third Party SMB servers.

Change the setting from Disabled to Enabled, or from Enabled to disabled.

Try this first. Mostlikely this will solve your problem
    Computers Are Like Air Conditioners... They\'re both useless with Windows open!

Linux User

unencrypted

I wouldn't start messing with registry settings unless you know its absolutely necessary. Windows 2K boxes can access samba servers so it should be fixable from the samba end.

If you mess about with the win 2k box too much it might just die. I also wouldn't turn off encrypted passwords as even windows uses password encryption. Also you can see that the samba file has password encryption on.

Are you logging in to win 2k as the administrator account? as thats the only user you've specified to be allowed to access the samba share.
    No trees were harmed during the creation of this message. Its made from a blend of elephant tusk and dolphin meat.

Linux Newbie
    I do not agree with you kpzani, but there are more ways then only the security policy of Windows.

M$ had made this function specially for third party smb servers. It doesn't harm to your system. I used this option also, and I don't have any problems with it.

Linux User

problems

You may not have any problems with it but you are transmitting unencrypted passwords around your network. Now this may not be a problem in your case. But most people who play with Linux will at some time or another try and implement a linux set-up in their work place. Therefore it is good practice to get these types of thing implemented correctly.

I read a lot of samba questions on this site so I'll re-iterate my usual stance. Windows on a P2P style network is crap. It performs like a dog and has various intermittent network browsing problems that sometimes resolve themeslves. Even on a tiny network I would always use a PDC. If you set samba up as a PDC then you will find 90% of these small problems disappear. and in the process you will learn a lot about both samba and MS networking.

Granted MS XP Home won't integrate into a domian controlled network. But it will access it as if it was another MS workgroup. So if you are stuck with Home then it can still participate, just not fully.

Linux Newbie
    I'm running Linux as PDC with Samba 3.0.2a. I'm also writing a howto for it.