Find the answer to your Linux question:
First my issue and question: I have setup a SUSE linux box to operate as a file server on my home network, which contains both Widows and linux machines. I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Can't log into samaba shares

First my issue and question:

I have setup a SUSE linux box to operate as a file server on my home network, which contains both Widows and linux machines.

I went though the samba setup via SUSE's gui interface. I am now able to see my samba shares from my Windows machine, but if I try to access them it prompts me for a username a password.

No matter what username and password I provide, it doesn't work. I've tried my linux username and password, I've tried root, and I've tried my Windows username and password.

I then went to my user settings in Windows and went to "Manage my network passwords", and setup a password for my linux box (lets call is LINSERV).

Now when I am prompted to authenticate myself to access the share it comes up with the username: LINSERV\mylinuxusername

I assume that this is correct, and what I should be doing.

That still doesn't work.

In order to troubleshoot this better and get around all this I install smb4k on my linux box and tried to access the shares from there.

That still doesn't work.

Even accessing the shares from my linux box itself, using my normal linux login or root does not work, and gives me the same error that I get from Windows, which is "Access denied".

So, what user is samba looking for here and how do I access the share?

Other points and issues:

Having gotten to this point I started looking for more documentation. I installed the samba documentation, because it wasn't automatically installed, and upon reading it I see that I can't find any simple listing off all the parameters and options in the config file.

Everything I have found on the internet gives "examples" of how to setup smb.conf files for various situations, but I can find no listing of simple what each parameter in the smb.conf file means and how they are to be used.

By default it looks like SUSE sets up a fairly bloated conf file, but I can't tell for sure. I just want to get down to basics and then work my way up from there, but I need a listing of every conf option for [global] and for each share what that I know what I'm working with here.

This seems like something pretty basic and obvious. I cannot believe that the documentation for Samba doesn't include this, and even more, I can't find this on the internet anywhere!?!?

Does anyone have a simple listing of all the parameters for the conf file, with an explanation of them and a listing of all the options for them?

Just Joined!
    So, what user is samba looking for here and how do I access the share?
    you have to use smbpasswd command.. see man smbpasswd.. or its like this for example...

if you share the folder /home/userlinux/shared then ofcourse, that shared folder been owned by username userlinux... assuming that userlinux is a regular user on that machine.

so as root, you should issue the command

Code:
    #smbpasswd -a userlinux
    New SMB password:        
    Retype new SMB password:
    Added user userlinux
    that would add userlinux to smbpasswd database...

New SMB Password is the password you defined on that user to access that share from windows or other remote machine thur samba, and you dont have to make it the same passwd as your system password..

so, try it.

with regards to your

Other points and issues:
    the samba website has a good configuration example with explanations and different scenarios which you can apply.. so try to visit their site if you have'nt yet..

and oh, BTW... accessing the windows shared does not necessary that samba server on linux should be installed... you can just open konqueror and type at the url bar

Code:
    smb://ip-add-of-window
    then if prompted with a username and password, use the windows account which do have access on the shared resources on on that machine (windows)

Just Joined!
    Thanks, but some more questions.

In smbusers I notices this comment:

Code:
    # This file is _not_ included in the default configuration as it makes the
    # usage of an user named administrator impossible.
    I'm not exactly sure what this means or if it is even important. It seems that the default setup of samab via SUSE doesn't account for any user logins, and that even if you use the GUI setup, you still have to go back and change the conf files.

Is this correct?

I'm just curious now. Is it possible to setup Samaba in SuSE without going into the confic files? It seems odd to provide a GUI if its inadequate, you would at least think that it woudl say, "Now to complete your setup, go open the files and add the other needed info".

I still haven't found a simple listing that fully explains the conf file. I have read though the official Samaba documentation, and it has good info, but I'd like to see something like:

[global]
    workgroup : The name of the Windows workgroup that you wish to be a member of
    printing: ??
    printcap name: ??
    printcap cache time: ??
    cups options: ??
    map to guest: Bad User ?? Don't allow guest logins??
    include: ??
    logon path: ??
    logon home: ??
    logon drive: ??
    add machine script: ??
    domain logons: ??
    domain master: Yes if this machine is a PDC, No if it is not?
    Etc., you get the idea, just list every possible option and explain what it is, that seems like somthing normal to do, but I have yet to find such a document.

Thanks

Linux Enthusiast

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by gtmtnbiker98
    Yes, this is what I was looking for.

Thank you