Find the answer to your Linux question:
hello, This is out of curiosity. Is there a way you can know when someone has recieved or opened your e-mail? I know outlook has such a tracking feature but ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Pine and e-mail

hello,
    This is out of curiosity. Is there a way you can know when someone has recieved or opened your e-mail? I know outlook has such a tracking feature but I use a linux, with the pine prog. and I was wondering if this suite comes with such features?

Thank you

Linux Guru
    I don't really know about pine, but these notifications are specified with the "Disposition-Notification-To" MIME header. For more info about that, see RCF 2298.

Linux Enthusiast
    It is a standard, and if both email clients accept the standard (I doubt any of microsofts do), it will work nicely. read http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...oogle%2BSearch to learn more. This is about mutt, and it shows that it should have it in 1.6 (soon to come I hope). kmail supports this already, pine looks like it does somehow (I saw people talking about it). Evolution is looking to get it in (see http://bugzilla.ximian.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1609 for more info).
    I respectfully decline the invitation to join your delusion.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    Actually, the predecessor to Disposition-Notification-To, which was Return-Receipt-To, was invented by Microsoft when they did Exchange, so for once they were ahead. Then one can of course discuss whether that's really a good feature or not, but that wasn't the matter.