Find the answer to your Linux question:
I wanted to get some opinions on how to get a mail server running under my own domain. I run my own server off of my internet connection at home. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Running a Mail Server?

I wanted to get some opinions on how to get a mail server running under my own domain.

I run my own server off of my internet connection at home. Everything works well, but the problem is my ISP does not allow me to send e-mail from my server to accounts on it's domain. For example, when I try to send an e-mail to myself from my server, the message gets rejected. The rejection notice says that my ISP wants me to upgrade to their "business" service to be able to do this. I don't want to double my internet bill every month, so that is not an option. I also do not have any firends with servers that I could relay my mail through.

So, is there a way around this? IS there a way I can trick my ISP's mail servers into thinking the mail is comming from a different place (without being labeled a spammer)?

I guess I should mentions that I am not using this for sending out spam. I run a low traffic personal web server, so I will not be sending out large amounts of e-mail.

Hmm, the way I got around this issue is to pay for the small office/home office internet connection. Yes, it costs me about half as much again as a boring ordinary connection, but I get clever stuff like commercial web space (that I dont use yet - but I'm planning to...) a static IP address block, proper mail feeds, and unfiltered/unmetered internet access - i.e. open access to all ports which often get closed off by ISPs for home users, and no download limits.

The problem you have is that your ISP would need to allow connections directly to your own machine for email purposes - i.e. the MX record for your domain would have to point to your static IP address, and connections would be handled by your own server. The ISP can back up your service by having secondary and tertiary MX records pointed at their own mailservers (my ISP does this) but the whole setup is a lot more complex, hence the higher prices.

Think about what you need, you may be able to use an upgraded 'business' type connection if you want these kinds of services.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/