Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi All, Been trying to install sendmail, but have not been able to complete the install. I untared the src file with "Tar zxvf sendmail.8.12.11.tar.gz into my /usr/src/ folder. It ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Setting up sendmail 8.12.11

Hi All,

Been trying to install sendmail, but have not been able to complete the install.

I untared the src file with "Tar zxvf sendmail.8.12.11.tar.gz into my /usr/src/ folder.

It untars the files into a new directory and I enter it, I run "sh Build" and it builds all the files for install (I believe).

Upon trying to "make" it errors with "nothing to be done for 'all'" amongst other errors and returns to the command line.

Have I untared the files correctly? or have I just not followed the correct procedure for installing???

any pointers would be appreciated, I have checked out the sendmail.org website / docs but cannot seem to follow it.

Thanks for reading

Linux User
    hmmm...do you have a .configure or a configure file in that directory?
    or a readme or a install file that lists all the intructions to install?
    looks like ur make command did not find any files to compile at all.
    Fixing Unix is better than working with Windows.
    http://nikhilk.homedns.org/projects/index.html

Just Joined!
    Thanks for your reply.

I have checked out the readme and then read the install doc in the parent folder of sendmail-8.12.11, (install txt file seems to state:

3. In the sendmail/ directory, run "sh Build" (see sendmail/README for
    details).

I can't find any info in there for building sendmail)

I cannot find any configure files in the folder, how do I create them? or am I trying to build sendmail in the wrong folder?