Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am currently working at a large government department, we are running qmail on a fedora 3 box. it is running multiple domains and serving about 200 users. Recently it ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Qmail or Postfix

I am currently working at a large government department, we are running qmail on a fedora 3 box. it is running multiple domains and serving about 200 users. Recently it has started becomming unstable etc. My suggestion was to switch to Postfix on FreeBSD. Would this be a switch for the better or worst?

Personally I'd go for Sendmail, and bolt everything down. But then I've been running versions of sendmail for over 5 yrs, and never had problems.

If you want to give it a go (with sendmail, postfix or whatever), then set up a test machine and see how it performs.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Just Joined!

Sendmail

I might give it a go, I have a postfix test box at the moment, I am trying to store the mailboxes, usernames etc. in a mysql database (don't know if this is possible), but i'll give it all a go seeing that the weekend is comming up. Can you perhaps point me towards a good site for sendmail?

How about www.sendmail.org? They have loads and loads of documentation on there - it's the only site I used when I configured mine.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Just Joined!
    Thanks

Busy loading a new BSD box to set it up, would it work just as well on FreeBSD as on say Fedora?