Find the answer to your Linux question:
hi guys i need advice on implementing DNS Server. example situation: * there is a company named foo.com and they host the there dns records to ultradns.com. they have offices ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

DNS Implementation

hi guys

i need advice on implementing DNS Server.

example situation:

* there is a company named foo.com and they host the there dns records to ultradns.com. they have offices in US and JAPAN. in US they have servers: [name like pc1.foo.com,pc2.foo.com..] which are serving the svn repository,company websites and others..

questions:
    - i want make a DNS server to delegate the subdomain record like us.foo.com so that the public servers in US will look like: pc1.us.foo.com,pc2.us.foo.com and etc.

- how about their internal network, should i build a another dns server for the internal network to host for: employee1.us.foo.com

any advice.?thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by janskey
    - how about their internal network, should i build a another dns server for the internal network to host for: employee1.us.foo.com
    Yes, build a seperate DNS server for inside the lan to resolve names from the 'lan point of view' - this will handle all requests for *.us.foo.com, so you'll need to include everything that is visible to the outside world and all the extra host entries for internal lan machines. Remember that inside the lan, some machines may have different IP addresses to the ones that are used outside.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Just Joined!
    thanks for the advice..this is cool!