Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm running a linux box based server with Mandrake 9.2 and Apache ... now when i try to enter my web page through my other machine which is a Windows ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Why arents my pics showing?

I'm running a linux box based server with Mandrake 9.2 and Apache ... now when i try to enter my web page through my other machine which is a Windows XP , my web page shows up, the background is the color i wanted, but the pictures dont show ... you just see the size of the pic with that 'x' on it like it couldn't load...

Can anyone help me out ??

Thank you...

Edit: By the way it's a .png picture format that i'm using, but i tried with .gif also and it didn't work, if that makes a difference ... if you need more info (i'm not sure what you need) then i'll be more than happy to provide it ... thanks

where are the images located? are they in the same directory that your webpage is in?
    BIG K aka Kyle
    Programming Forums
    www.kylekonline.com
    Please don\'t PM me for help-- ask in the forums instead!

Just Joined!
    well i have my main index.shtml in the /var/www/html directory, and then temporarily i have the image files in the user/documents directory

hmm ... i didn't think that would matter since in the html code u specify where to load the image from

does it matter where the images are located? if it does where do i put em?

Thank you for the reply by the way, that was fast

Linux User
    I think that it does matter what directory you put stuff in. You probably need to edit the apache.conf file to tell apache that it's OK to look in a directory.

Look at the "Scope of Directives" section here.
    http://httpd.apache.org/docs/configuring.html

Or you can make a directory under /var/www/html/ somethinglike"images" and move the pics there (of course you need to change the html pointing to the pics).

what i do is go into the htdocs directory or what ever directory you have all your html files at i created a new directory called images. and thats where i put all my images at. i think link to them by using
    Code:
    [img]images/imagename[/img]
    this will do it and this is how most ppl do this
    hope this helps
    BIG K aka Kyle
    Programming Forums
    www.kylekonline.com
    Please don\'t PM me for help-- ask in the forums instead!

Linux User
    as far as i know you need your images under the docroot...i dont think you
    can have images in a diff directory and ur docroot in a diff directory unless
    you have created a separate mapping for it in the config file.
    Fixing Unix is better than working with Windows.
    http://nikhilk.homedns.org/projects/index.html

Just Joined!
    ok just got home from work and tested it out...

i created a directory called /images in the var/www/html directory and places all my pictures in there and now everything seems to be fine ...

wanna thank you all for the help

Till next time

Linux User

comments

This happens because the browser reads the html page and then makes a separate request for each of the images within the page. so you have to place images in an apache accessible folder - that is inside the current virtual hosts document root.

if you needed to get around this for a specific reason you could use a php script to get the images for you.
    No trees were harmed during the creation of this message. Its made from a blend of elephant tusk and dolphin meat.

Symlinks come to mind I wonder how many Apache servers are setup to FollowSymlinks :P