Find the answer to your Linux question:
Is there something related to a firmware within Postfix? A friend asked me to take a look to his mail server and told me that the firmware was corrupt. I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Postfix firmware?

Is there something related to a firmware within Postfix? A friend asked me to take a look to his mail server and told me that the firmware was corrupt. I haven't gone to see it but I'm new to all this server stuff and don't know how to do anything with the server!
    Put your hand in an oven for a minute and it will be like an hour, sit beside a beautiful woman for an hour and it will be like a minute, that is relativity. --Albert Einstein
    Linux User #425940

Don't PM me with questions, instead post in the forums

Linux Enthusiast
    It could be an appliance that is using a Linux image and various smtp daemons.

They just said it was a normal RedHat server ..
    Put your hand in an oven for a minute and it will be like an hour, sit beside a beautiful woman for an hour and it will be like a minute, that is relativity. --Albert Einstein
    Linux User #425940

Firmware is normally a binary executable image stored in some kind of permanent (or semi-permanent) storage, usually flash memory or static ram of some kind. The important thing to note is that firmware is the name given to a program to control some device, a program that is embedded within it. It's not normally user changeable and installable or uninstallable like ordinary software on your computer. Think of it more like your BIOS on your PC.

Unless your friend's server requires some external device (such as a particular ADSL modem or cable box of some kind) to connect to the internet, then I cant really see a use for firmware in the email process. Maybe you should take a look at the server anyway and find out what is wrong - he probably means something else when he says 'firmware'. Could be the config files or the Postfix program itself that is broke.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

I was thinking about backing up the config files, recompile postfix, restart the daemon and see if it works better.

In a server, is better to compile? right?
    Linux User #425940

I could be better, it depends on what you want to do. For my CentOS server, I wouldn't recompile it, if I thought a binary was corrupted I'd uninstall the package and use yum to re-install it from the repostory. If it's a RedHat server, and it's still in support, then you should be able to do that without any problems.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Yes, they use Red Hat. I'll use yum
    Linux User #425940