Find the answer to your Linux question:
I currently have a folder with a large amount of data I would like to backup to multiple DVD's. Is there a program available that can take a folder and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Thumbs up Backup Solution

I currently have a folder with a large amount of data I would like to backup to multiple DVD's. Is there a program available that can take a folder and archive it to multiple DVD's? This needs to be a command line program.

Otherwise it would be nice to be able to take a list of files and create ISO's based on date of files and limit the size of the ISO to 4.2 gb or something.

If someone could potentially recommend maybe a few good sites on BASH scripting that talks about methods of doing the above for other purposes that would be great also!

Thanks,

Fred

Hi !

try PartImage !

casper
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!

PartImage

This is a nice program and I might have use for it outside of this project, but I do not really want to backup the whole partition since it is over 100 gigs. That would take forever to backup to DVD. Of course the 28 gig partition is not far behind, but much more manageable.

There has to be a way to go through file sizes and calculate them in a script. I can't be the only person who wants to do something like this. I would also like to be able to move files to a different directory based on month of the file.

I really need to get a better handle on bash scripting. I think that knowing the right programs to use to give me the results I need probably would not hurt either.

Thanks Casper

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close