Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm using SUSE 10.1 and I'm pretty new to linux. We're trying to set up a samba file server and I'm kind of unsure what all the configurations should be. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Samba File Server Help

I'm using SUSE 10.1 and I'm pretty new to linux.

We're trying to set up a samba file server and I'm kind of unsure what all the configurations should be. I am really looking for just the basic configuration that will allow a file sharing with a windows network. I've heard a lot of good things about Linux servers and feel this is the right course of action.

We have loaded SUSE 10.1 on a Dell Poweredge server and have a RAID 1 and a RAID 5 array set up.

We do a lot of imaging of hard drives and we are looking for better performance than Windows can offer. I've had to install with the limited Graphical environment instead of GNOME or KDE.

I don't know if any of that is helpful or not. Just thought I'd mention it, just in case.

Any help would be appreciated.

I've been researching for about two weeks now and I have learned alot but I'm afraid of confusing my knowledge base and I want to learn the right way...

I really do like Linux, but i just need a little direction.

Thanks for your time.
    Have a good day.

atom t. kirk
    Captain of the U.S.S. LTT (little toyota truck)

Samba itself isn't particulary complex, just try to avoid any windows domains and you'll be fine. If you're running in a workgroup mode, then you only need to do a couple of things.

The regular config file (usually installed as /etc/samba/smb.conf) contains many pointers to configure it, take a look through it. The biggest problem most people seem to have is with authorisation for users, caused because of differences between windows users and linux users.

Here's the simplest way through the process:

- Make sure your windows users have a password-protected windows account (this makes life a little easier and actually imposes some network security - the alternative is to leave everyone's password blank, but I dont really like that very much).

- Edit the /etc/samba/smb.conf - set the workgroup name, turn on encrypted passwords, set security to 'user' and define the shares where you want them to be in your filesystem. There are several examples in the file.

- Make sure each windows user has a linux account too, it helps to use the same usernames on both platforms.

- Add each windows user to the samba system with 'smbpasswd -a <username>', use their windows password when doing this.

- Map any different user names in /etc/samba/smbusers, this is a one-line-per-entry list, each line says '<linuxusername> = <windowsusername>'.

- Restart the samba service and test.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Linux Enthusiast
    Another thing, since this will be a full-fledged server, I would do away with that "limited graphical" environment, it will be a waste. Install PuTTY on a Windows machine to configure and maintain the Linux machine or simply use the Command Line Interface (CLI) via a KVM. I use SuSE 10.1 in a Windows domain at work so if you run in to any problems, post here. With that aside, Roxoff already provided you with the necessary setup information.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Thanks guys, I'm getting ready to try it out. I really appreciate your willingness to help me out.

Talk to you later.

atom t. kirk
    Captain of the U.S.S. LTT (little toyota truck)