Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I am running SLES10 with Squid 2.6Stable3 and DansGuardian2.8.0.6. My hardware is a Dell PowerEdge1750, XEON Dual Core 2.8GHz, 1GB Ram, 68GB RAID5 SCSI. All is configured and working ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Squid proxy slow to serve up HTML pages

Hello,

I am running SLES10 with Squid 2.6Stable3 and DansGuardian2.8.0.6. My hardware is a Dell PowerEdge1750, XEON Dual Core 2.8GHz, 1GB Ram, 68GB RAID5 SCSI. All is configured and working correctly.

My issue is many sites populate slower than a client that is not using the proxy. By slower I mean several seconds. Now I realize this is not much but I'm wondering what I can do to maximize performance. I have tired removing DansGuardian from the configuration, setting ulimit = 8192 in my rcsquid script (and reconfigured after setting this ulimit), setting cache_dir = aufs /usr/local/squid/var/cache 1000 16 256, setting cache_dir = null - but don't see any noticeable affect from these.

My current config is --enable-basic-auth-helpers=PAM --enable-async-io --enable-storeio=ufs,aufs,null.

I have CacheMgr working and am also using SARG.

I'm looking for any help in tuning my Squid proxy and/or OS to maximize performance.

I have tried to run WebPolygraph against my Squid but I'm not getting polygraph to run correctly. Can someone suggest another method to use to test my configuration?

Thank you.

Bart

Just Joined!
    Hi,

This post is too old but no one gave an idea to solve this problem. Actually i have the same situation i am running iptables + squid + dansguardian on Ubuntu 9.04 server and i am having a lot of delays when using the proxy. i replaced squid with tinyproxy for testing but i received the same issue. Here i would like to understand from someone who use a proxy on ubuntu or debian if he's facing same problems because i tried debian with same configuration and I received same results, then i tried to bypass dansguardian and directly use squid so i knew that it's related to squid.

Currently i am using a very basic configuration on squid.

Thank you,