Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I am using Mandrake 9.2 and I used webmin to install the mandrake package: proftpd1.2.8-5.2.92mdk (from rpmfind,net...i also tried the default on mandrake CDs). It installed successfully, and I started ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

ProFTPd problem

I am using Mandrake 9.2 and I used webmin to install the mandrake package: proftpd1.2.8-5.2.92mdk (from rpmfind,net...i also tried the default on mandrake CDs). It installed successfully, and I started the service, it said OK, however I could not connect. I stopped the service and got FAILED. I tried start, stop, and restart, and it seems to just not be working...

I sent the command service proftpd status and got reply:
    Code:
    proftpd dead but subsys locked
    Can anyone please explain to me what this means?

(btw...I tried reinstalling Mnadrake 9.2 to see if a fresh install would fix it, and this the same error I got before).

Kernel: 2.4.22-10mdk
    If you love something, emerge it

Linux Guru

Nice job finding things for people

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Giro
    Nice job finding things for people
    yeah....

Looking for a job

Linux Newbie
    I tried the first, second, and third...alot of the third. No luck. I deleted the sybsys file, and started the proftpd service, and it just did the same exact thing. I know it is not config at fault on account of I first started it when I first installed it with the fresh install of 9.2. Version is from one of the mandrake mirrors (proftpd-1.2.8-5.2.92mdk). It works on one of my other computers just fine. I even tried taking th config from there and see what that would do...still same problem.

Any other ideas or tips?

Quote Originally Posted by Blue|Fusion
    I tried the first, second, and third...alot of the third. No luck. I deleted the sybsys file, and started the proftpd service, and it just did the same exact thing. I know it is not config at fault on account of I first started it when I first installed it with the fresh install of 9.2. Version is from one of the mandrake mirrors (proftpd-1.2.8-5.2.92mdk). It works on one of my other computers just fine. I even tried taking th config from there and see what that would do...still same problem.

Any other ideas or tips?
    Well what does that say to you? Dont use Webmin why add another level when you do not have to!! Compile it and it will work i have installed it many times. Do you know if it is webmin or proftpd?

Linux Newbie
    Well the original install was right in the actual install of the system, i selected it when I was choosing packages to install tis last time. Before that, I just installed it via RPMDrake and it didn't work, so I uninstalled and tried the RPM from rpmsearch.net via webmin and it installed just fine.

The problem is either within ProFTPd itself or the base system itself. I have also been reading around google and other forums. This seems to be a very common problem, but so far I have not found any soultions .

Linux Newbie
    I have now tried a Mandrake 9.1 fresh install. Same problem. It has got to be something with the hardware of the system causing something...

The version that came with the same 9.2 that was on before is on my other PC, and runs without any problems.

Linux Newbie
    2. Which version of proftpd do you use?
    Computers Are Like Air Conditioners... They\'re both useless with Windows open!

Linux Newbie
    In Mandrake 9.2 I tried the default package > 1.2.8-4mdk ( http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/...-4mdk.i586.rpm )

And in Mandrake 9.1, I also tried the default package > 1.2.7-1mdk ( http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/...-1mdk.i586.rpm )

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast