Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am a relative Linux Newbie but I know enough to get me by. I installed Mysql, Apache and nMap using the Gnome GUI package installer on Redhat 8.0. I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Mysql help

I am a relative Linux Newbie but I know enough to get me by. I installed Mysql, Apache and nMap using the Gnome GUI package installer on Redhat 8.0. I am trying to setup a web based logging for my Iptables. I need to get in to create a mysql database. However when I type:

mysql -u root -p

it asks me for a password and then it gives me a funky error saying that it cannot use the socket specified. I "chown -R" the directory but that didn't solve the problem.

I checked if the packages were installed doing an RPM -q and it showed that mysql was installed.

doing a PS AXU doesn't show that the mysql daemon is running. I tried "service mysql start" but it says "mysql service doesn't exist"

Can someone give me an idea of what I need to do? Or head me in some sort of direction?

thanks

DJ Wallis

wdatoo@afsat.com

Just Joined!
    If it helps here are the errors:

>mysql -u root -p

ERROR 2002: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2)

>service mysql start

mysql: unrecognized service

Linux Newbie
    Try

/etc/init.d/mysql start
    Computers Are Like Air Conditioners... They\'re both useless with Windows open!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

Works

That answer was bang on target

If you get a chance can you explain why this worked and "service mysql start" didn't?

thanks a bunch

Linux Newbie
    Because not every distro's accepts service commands
    Computers Are Like Air Conditioners... They\'re both useless with Windows open!