Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi If I want a secure, non-bloated and minimalistic server-dist running just sshd, httpd, php, MySQL, and Samba....and this on a 3000+ with Cool 'n Quiet running, which one do ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

What non-bloated server-dist? Want Cool 'n Quiet to work.

Hi

If I want a secure, non-bloated and minimalistic server-dist running just sshd, httpd, php, MySQL, and Samba....and this on a 3000+ with Cool 'n Quiet running, which one do I get? No X running, just terminal of course.

And does it have to be a AMD64-version for Cool 'n Quiet to work, or can I grab any i386? I noticed some dists dont have any AMD64, or at least they are hard to find.

I need a dist with good Samba-speeds. I know the BSD's have some problems there, but hopefully Linux is better in general.
    Need it to run on a somewhat exotic ASUS A8V-MX with some VIA-chipset on, but I guess most larger Linux-dists have good hardware support so....

Thanks

Unfortunately, most of the time nobody can tell you what the best distro for you could be, and that applies especially to this this purpose.

You see, virtually every distro of Linux will carry a similar-spec kernel and of the lightweight tools you're asking for, they'll be pretty similar too. As soon as you pick a distro, only install the few little bits you want, recompile your kernel and set it free, it will hardly have mattered which distro you chose.

Although you're asking for a lightweight distro, may I suggest a different approach; go for a release which is designed for its stability - Debian, CentOS, RedHat EL, Suse Enterprise (there are a few others, take a look at distrowatch.com). Whatever distro you choose like this will come with a range of packages - just dont install them. No X, no Samba, no nothing unless you absolutely need it, and you'll have your lightweight distribution.

You can use the 64 bit version if you like, you shouldn't have any problems with either 64 or 32 bit installs on your server.

The other thing you might want to consider is underclocking (if your system supports it) - that's where you set your BIOS to have the computer run at a slower clock speed than it would normally. It'll consume much less power and will run cooler as a result. Of course, dont do this if you need the oomph...
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Just Joined!
    Well, I dont know if I'm on the right level to recompile kernels and know exactly which of all hundred apps/libs/packages I need and dont need. I remember installing some Linux-dist long ago and there were page after page to scroll through, filled with stuff I didn't know what it was, so I installed most of it since it might be needed for something.

So, what I wanted with this question was to:

1. Be pointed to a suitable serverdist that has security somewhat in mind, as in not being bloated with lots of **** on CD after CD, more the OpenBSD style, a small CD where only whats needed is included and unneccesary services turned off after default install.

2. A dist that is confirmed to handle Cool 'n Quiet, preferably without having to recompile it or rewrite the whole OS since I'm kind of a newb and just want it running.

3. Have someone explain if AMD64-version is needed for Cool 'n Quiet, or if it and other powersaving functions work as well in a i386-install on my AMD 3000+. Heard someone mention something about "stay away from AMD64-versions" but I dont know why really....

Thanks for answering

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    You could probably manage a kernel recompile with little fuss. It's a lot easier than you may think.

It does create quite a problem for you; you dont understand enough about Linux packages to know what you want and what you dont want, and we dont know what you want and what you dont want to help you create a list of packages.

I'll reiterate what I said before all the major distributions will do what you want, you just need to be careful what you do install and what you dont install.

I use CentOS and Fedora Core for my servers and workstations. These use the RedHat installer and list packages with a description of what the package does. At least with this kind of installer you have some guidance, and you'll be leaving most packages out anyway. And as long as you have an internet connection, you can pretty much leave everything but that off during install time and use the package manager to add anything you find you need later - after the install is complete.

The best suggestion I think I can give you is to try one of the major distros, and work through the installer, get a feel for which tools you need (ask questions here if you need to, the more specific the question, the better the answer will be) and use the machine for a few days. You'll then have a much better idea of what you want, and you can then go ahead and re-install to your own specification.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Just Joined!
    Running Arch now
    Install was not easy, not at all, but it was extremely minimalistic with the base-install (just what I was looking for) and now I've added the apps I need through its package-manager pacman.

Seems to work nice so far
    Not an easy dist....not many guides for doing what you think should be very common and easy, and many manpages are like missing or very very short....at least compared to the BSD's I've had the last year.