Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am trying to configure PHP with mySQL support. I have looked a many sites on the internet and I follow their instructions. However I installed Apache without any problems ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Installing Apache + MySql + PHP

I am trying to configure PHP with mySQL support. I have looked a many sites on the internet and I follow their instructions. However I installed Apache without any problems and then I had to install mySQL. I unpacked it in /usr/local/src and then ran the ./configure script with all the prefix and with combinations I wanted. It runs but this is the first message I get:

NOTE: This is a MySQL binary distribution. It's ready to run, you don't
    need to configure it!

This could be a problem? Also it ends with a shell prompt saying :

Starting mysqld daemon with databases from /var/lib/mysql
    040320 10:53:17 mysqld ended

and hangs until I press enter and it gives me a shell prompt again.
    When I try and setup a database with mysql -u root -p it prompts for password (there isn't one!) and then I press carriage return and it gives me this error:

ERROR 2002: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (111)

I have changed all the owner and groups by doing chown -R. Can someone please guide me in the right direction?

Ideally I want to run Apache, MySQL and PHP so that my website can run PHP scripts. I had it working before but everytime I opened the site it would not find certain functions and I figured out that php hadn't been installed with mySql support. So I erased the package and am trying to build form the source tar.gz's for the three packages.

So far only apache is working right.

Once again any help will be appreciated

dj wallis

Linux User

stuff

Firstly, I would always use your distros software manager to install Mysql, Apache & php as this will configure most of it. for example you will probably want php_mod_sql etc.

You need to launch the mysql server as a daemon which is probably inside /etc/init.d - I use my services GUI to start and stop it. What distro are you using. In fedora or redhat its System settings / server settings / services then click mysql and start

I get errors launching if I try and run mysqld as a normal user or root. although I can run /etc/init.d/mysql start as root and it will run.

on a base install there should be a root user without a password so you just need to launch the client using mysql -u root. adding the -p option only seems to work if there is a password. and pressing enter = null password as opposed to using password = no.

although you probably want to add another user and set up their access rights to be a little more restrictive.

Anyway, I would try and use a package manager to setup mysql and php as it will be easier in the long run. Sorry if i've gone off at a tangent and none of my chatter has been helpful.
    No trees were harmed during the creation of this message. Its made from a blend of elephant tusk and dolphin meat.