Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi All, I used to have one PC with Win2k installed, acting both as server and for regular use. I maintain an adsl-connection through an usb-modem currently, which isn't very ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Advise on Linux Server + Windows Station

Hi All,

I used to have one PC with Win2k installed, acting both as server and for regular use. I maintain an adsl-connection through an usb-modem currently, which isn't very stable. Also, I don't really like the fact that I have to leave that computer on 24/7.

Therefore, I want to setup another, older PC (450 mhz, 256 mb) for serverpurposes. As Win2k doesn't run really smoothly on that one, I thought it would be smart to install an other OS there, Linux, f.e.

I want to continue creating webcontent on the Win2k-machine, then 'upload' it to the server. I want that uploaded files to be sent to another host from the moment they are uploaded, dependent on the file size (I want to have complete php/mysql/java functionality on my own server, and host bigger files at my ISP or other host so it doesn't consume my bandwidth: the server contains a directory for every website I maintain, where the bigger files are automatically mirrored somewhere else, possibly using some self-written java-app)

I want to use the server to backup my win2k files, I want to use the win2k machine to backup my server-files.

I want to do all the security handling on the server, so that I don't have to bother with that on the win2k-machine, and just use internet there through the server.

Where should I start?
    What applications/OS'es do you advise me to use?

Thank you in advance,
    Matt

Linux User

os

If you're new to linux I would use one of the easier to install distro's like Fedora.

You'll need samba to get the windows box talking to the server well.

obviously Apache for the web server. the easiest way of getting the linux box to sync with your ISP is to write a small php page that ftps the files to the server. you ftp to the server and then visit a web page and click a button and the rest will be done. you could of course schedule this script.
    No trees were harmed during the creation of this message. Its made from a blend of elephant tusk and dolphin meat.

Just Joined!
    Thanks a bunch!

Will start with that, then.

Re: Advise on Linux Server + Windows Station

Quote Originally Posted by Tremenor
    Hi All,

I used to have one PC with Win2k installed, acting both as server and for regular use. I maintain an adsl-connection through an usb-modem currently, which isn't very stable. Also, I don't really like the fact that I have to leave that computer on 24/7.

Therefore, I want to setup another, older PC (450 mhz, 256 mb) for serverpurposes. As Win2k doesn't run really smoothly on that one, I thought it would be smart to install an other OS there, Linux, f.e.
    [
    I want to continue creating webcontent on the Win2k-machine, then 'upload' it to the server. I want that uploaded files to be sent to another host from the moment they are uploaded, dependent on the file size (I want to have complete php/mysql/java functionality on my own server, and host bigger files at my ISP or other host so it doesn't consume my bandwidth: the server contains a directory for every website I maintain, where the bigger files are automatically mirrored somewhere else, possibly using some self-written java-app)
    You could write PHP or Perl/bash scripts to do this...
    A good start with bash scripting would be here and here

I want to use the server to backup my win2k files, I want to use the win2k machine to backup my server-files.
    Use samba.
    Check here

I want to do all the security handling on the server, so that I don't have to bother with that on the win2k-machine, and just use internet there through the server.
    I want the linux server to be the gateway to the internet then ?
    Where should I start?
    What applications/OS'es do you advise me to use?
    Start here for various howtos and other docs incl various applications.
    For firewall use IPTables.
    Webserver: Apache with MySQL,PHP,ModSSL and Frontpage extension if you use frontpage to design websites.

Thank you in advance,
    Matt
    You are welcome
    ---[ MS09-99896 - Vulnerability in All MS Windows OS ; Using Windows Could Allow Remote Code Execution. ]---
    Hardware: Asus P4P800, 1GB, P4-3Ghz, Asus V9950, Maxtor ATA HD\'s, 3Com GBit lan, Audigy ZS Plat.