Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I've got a new FC5 box, and am trying to have the web server send out emails, from forms, scripts, etc. I can see the outgoing mail message, in ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    pjk
    Just Joined!

postfix not sending out email

Hello, I've got a new FC5 box, and am trying to have the web server send out emails, from forms, scripts, etc.

I can see the outgoing mail message, in the mail queue, using the webmin interface. It shows the items in the queue, but has status of connection refused, listed below:

connect to mx3.hotmail.com[111.222.333.444]: Connection refused
    connect to mail.mydomain.com[11.22.33.44]: Connection refused

the first one is sending to my account at hotmail, the second is trying to send to my personal named domain. (IPs changed, but are correct in actual status)

Both emails are valid, as I use them everyday.

I think I'm missing some sort of out-bound mail server setting, but I can't find it.

I also tried to relay my servers outbound mail to our exchange server, but it gets denied by the exchange server as well. I probably can have the exchange admins allow my to outbound through it, but I'd rather have my server doing the mail sending on it's own.

Thanks for any help.

Linux Engineer
    Could you please post your main.cf?

pjk
    Just Joined!
    It's too long, posted here:

http://www.kondratko.com/temp/main.cf

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Engineer
    It looks as if you haven't set a single variable in your main.cf. This is quite alarge file to go through line by line; however, there are many good tutorials that'll get you up and running in around 20-30 minutes.

I followed instructions at the Postfix wiki, http://postfix.wiki.xs4all.nl/index.php?title=Main_Page
    and everything works like a charm.