Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
OK, this is a non-typical question. I have been running Redhat for many years as a http/ftp/mail server, but since they eliminated the "free" distro and went to Fedora I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

What can I do next with my Debian box

OK, this is a non-typical question. I have been running Redhat for many years as a http/ftp/mail server, but since they eliminated the "free" distro and went to Fedora I chose to reload my box with something else. After trying Slack, Debian, and FreeBSD I chose to go with Debian. I got it up and running with all the previous services I used with Redhat (apache, proftp, qmail, vpop, horde, squirrelmail, php, mysql). I continued installing/configuring/testing/playing with different things like phpmyadmin, php-nuke, apt-get, php-post, twiki, horde, squirrelmail, webmin, qmail, webalizer, logwatch, etc. But now I am looking for new things. What are some services or applications I can try next. I really have no focus or direction with what I am doing, I just like to play with things I guess.

Thanks

Linux User
    Get a Windows box and ASP.

hahahhahaha.

Linux Engineer
    You could give the box to me.

HTH
    Lansbury's Lido

thekiadriver on #linuxforums - fleetingly

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Engineer
    you could remove the heatsink and make some nice cooked breakfasts on the cpu:P

Linux Engineer
    And by the way, welcome to the forums!
    Lansbury's Lido

thekiadriver on #linuxforums - fleetingly

Linux User

PHP and samba

If you're looking for experience that could help with employment then I recommend learning to program in PHP. I think webbased applications are awesome and there's always some contract work around. as well as all the cool stuff you can develop just for fun.

Also SAMBA is a great app and it leads onto all sorts of other things. e.g the new samba supports loads of active directory functionality and works well with LDAP. So set up samba then an LDAP server. link the two together - then make a PHP based front end for LDAP user and group administration.

That should keep you busy for the next few years.

If programming is your thing then why not look at making some small config utilites that run through a web interface. think webmin - but pretty.
    No trees were harmed during the creation of this message. Its made from a blend of elephant tusk and dolphin meat.

Just Joined!

redhat free distro removed??

I may be out of the loop with this one but what dost thou mean??? Free os removed? is redhat no longer freely distributed or downloaded?

if you want redhat dude i recommend goin with fedora core 1
    http://fedora.redhat.com/

redhat isnt supporting redhat 9 and isnt creating anymore freedesktop versions of redhat anymore they are producing fedora with the help of the linux community which in my mind is prolly better approach anyway
    BIG K aka Kyle
    Programming Forums
    www.kylekonline.com
    Please don\'t PM me for help-- ask in the forums instead!

Just Joined!

fedora

Just went to their website. I see they have about three options. You are probably correct my friend. Together we will create a better os. This means I will discard my redhat9 and start building with FEDORA. The beauty of this is that it doesnt have to be FEDORA, it can be whatever I want, slackware, mandrake, debian etc... :P

yeah there are so many good distros my favorite 2 are gentoo and slackware. i have only messed with debian alittle but it is suppose to be good too
    BIG K aka Kyle
    Programming Forums
    www.kylekonline.com
    Please don\'t PM me for help-- ask in the forums instead!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast