Find the answer to your Linux question:
hello everyone, good evening (indonesian time 8:30 pm) i have some problem with samba recently this is my configuration for samba [global] security = share [myshare] path = /home/data comment ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Samba 2nd

hello everyone, good evening (indonesian time 8:30 pm)

i have some problem with samba recently

this is my configuration for samba

[global]

security = share

[myshare]

path = /home/data
    comment = resctricted file only !
    writeable = yes
    valid users = kamto, johndoe

of course not all for my smb.conf, the problem is when connected from win2k i have 2 field that i must to fill #1. username #2. password but when i see it from windows XP i only see password field

is there anything i can do ? which wrong my smb.conf configuration or windowsXP need something to setup ?

thanks

This is a setting in Windows XP.

Can't remember which one.. Have to look it up....
    But you smb.conf looks fine...
    ---[ MS09-99896 - Vulnerability in All MS Windows OS ; Using Windows Could Allow Remote Code Execution. ]---
    Hardware: Asus P4P800, 1GB, P4-3Ghz, Asus V9950, Maxtor ATA HD\'s, 3Com GBit lan, Audigy ZS Plat.

flw
    Linux Engineer
    In the past, I have seen many samples of conf files at samba.org, are the general and simple examples no longer available there?

I don't have my samba book handy either and prefer not to do cmd's or scripts off the top of my head, but seems ok. One thing I've learned in general in linux with any aspect, is one charactor that is an error can cause the app to completely fail.

Also did you run the built in smb.conf sytax checker that comes with it? If so what did it say? If not checkout the documentation section on this site on basic cmd line how to's, an example is in there.
    Dan

\"Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer\" from The Art of War by Sun Tzu\"

When in XP and mapping a network drive click on "connect using differnt username"

Linux User

xp and 2k

XP first tries to login to a network pc as the current user. if that user can't access the folder then a log on box will be displayed. xp home will only display a password box not a username and password. as xp home has been chopped down to only support share level access. (you may be able to hack part of this through the registry).

2K on the other hand has full domain functionality so acts in the expected way.

Just make sure that the user you log on to xp as is in valid on your linux box. try logging in locally using smbclient. something like > smbclient \\MyLinuxBox\Share -U username

and see what happens.
    No trees were harmed during the creation of this message. Its made from a blend of elephant tusk and dolphin meat.