Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm interested in running a small mailserver and a ssh server on my home computer just for fun, the problem is that I don't have a static ip. I have ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Home mail/ssh server

I'm interested in running a small mailserver and a ssh server on my home computer just for fun, the problem is that I don't have a static ip. I have heard about some services like dyndns.com or no-ip.com which may help. Can somebody explain me how to get things working? is possible?

I already now how to configure postfix or sendmail and openssh
    Put your hand in an oven for a minute and it will be like an hour, sit beside a beautiful woman for an hour and it will be like a minute, that is relativity. --Albert Einstein
    Linux User #425940

Don't PM me with questions, instead post in the forums

Linux Engineer
    Juan Pablo,

I have the same setup running at home without using anything special like dyndns. If you have a domain name just point it to your dynamic ip address, the one returned from www.whatismyip.com. Then whenever your ip changes, just update your registrar page. If you setup your mx records correctly and your mailservers there is not anything to worry about, plus dynamic ips don't really change that often.

No luck for me, I'm behind a proxy and have got most ports (even bittorrent) closed during the day.
    Put your hand in an oven for a minute and it will be like an hour, sit beside a beautiful woman for an hour and it will be like a minute, that is relativity. --Albert Einstein
    Linux User #425940

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Engineer
    if you are behind a proxy i'm not sure if dyndns or no-ip solutions will work as the ports are blocked.

can you try using different ports, ones with really high numbers that are generally unused? they might be unblocked, else you could just ask your isp to unblock the ports for you

I have asked, my ISP just sucks. The people who are supposed to give technical support don't even know what is a port. I'm stuck until I change my ISP ... Hopefully soon!
    Linux User #425940

Just Joined!
    juan what typr of mail server are you using coz i also want to setup one at home..currently iwas trying to setup qmail but i am getting some problems on the way and i am also a learner in linux. please help.

Linux Engineer
    That really sucks man, but I hear your pain. Used to live in a really rural area that only had one isp option...

Less than thrilling, and no help at all.

Changed ISP ...
    Just installed Apache, OpenSSH, Postfix, MySQL, Mediawiki, phpBB, Joomla and a lot of other fun stuff
    Linux User #425940