Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm a bit of a noob with linux but I'm pretty sure I know what the problem is and the solution, but I don't know how to affect the solution. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Samba and WinXP issue

I'm a bit of a noob with linux but I'm pretty sure I know what the problem is and the solution, but I don't know how to affect the solution.

First off--I am running a network with Redhat 9, a bunch of WinXP machines, a Win 2000 SBS exchange server, a few of Win98 boxes, and two Macs running OSX.

I have three samba shares running on the Redhat box. For the Win98 and Mac boxes, no problem. However I can't map the XP boxes to it except by IP address. I believe this is because the Linux box broadcasts itself as localhost and the XP boxes see themselves as local host. Now mapping by IP would be fine except that there are several shared Access databases that will not allow themselves to be accessed by IP address.

So, I need to rename how the linux box broadcasts.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

flw
    Linux Engineer
    Have you tested a lmhost or host file on the local xp machines? Also are these xp home or pro's?
    Dan

\"Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer\" from The Art of War by Sun Tzu\"

How do you implement ip's? DHCP or static?

Just Joined!
    They are XP pro machines. Bear with me, I'm not sure I understand "testing an lmhost or host file". If you can clarify I'd be grateful.

The network is managed via DHCP from a sonicwall firewall/router. I can apply IPs based on MAC address if I want. It isn't something that I've had to do up until now.

Thanks for your questions!

Just Joined!
    Alright, I the solution was pretty much what I thought. In X I went to:

/etc/sysconfig/network and used gedit to change local host to the name I wanted to broadcast. Then I went to etc/hosts and added the name I wanted to broadcast as a name and a domain.

Seems to be working.