Find the answer to your Linux question:
ok I give up on my google search so I am going to have to be a noob. does anyone know of a way to leave a shell session active ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

remote server processes

ok I give up on my google search so I am going to have to be a noob. does anyone know of a way to leave a shell session active on a remote server after disconnecting? I read something about ctrl-A and ctrl-D to "dismount" the shell and leave the terminal running. I am using open source ssh for windows right now but I can also use ssh on my local linux box. e.g. I start a game server via ssh but as soon as I disconnect via ssh it also kills the game server process I started remotely.

Thanks for any comments,
    Ben

Linux Newbie
    from my (limited) knowledge on linux....

In ssh session, type "screen" before the command your entering in the command line. Then the ctrl+a and ctrl+d will detach the screen, and you can renter, by typing screen -r into command line.
    If you love something, emerge it

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the reply Blue.

ok I probably entered this all wrong but it stated screen was not a command

[root@dedicated root]# cd /bfvserver/bfv/
    [root@dedicated bfv]# dir
    bfv_linded bvsmd bvsmd.log mods pb README readmes start.sh
    [root@dedicated bfv]# screen ./bvsmd
    -bash: screen: command not found

Linux Newbie
    It should work...but anyway, you can type "screen", and return, then carry out commands, and detach screen as stated before.

I do se why it doesn't work though. You hav to type:
    Code:
    screen cd ./bvsmd
    If you love something, emerge it

Just Joined!
    It is unable to find the screen command that is why it said "command not found". Try executing the following command:

Code:
    $ which screen
    /usr/bin/screen
    It should output the directory where the screen command was found.

If it can't find the screen command, it will output something similar to the one below:

Code:
    # which screen
    /usr/bin/which: no screen in (/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/bin/X11:/usr/X11R6/bin:/root/bin)

Just Joined!
    Thanks a bunch kihbord. Screen is now obviously not a command my box recognizes then.

Code:
    [root@dedicated root]# which screen 
    /usr/bin/which: no screen in (/usr/kerberos/sbin:/usr/kerberos/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/root/bin)
    [root@dedicated root]#
    I sent an email to my dedicated host provider asking them about this now. Mabye they will just have to start it themselves locally. But if anyone else has any other info it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again Kihbord and Blue
    Ben