Find the answer to your Linux question:
Dear all, I have just started a job running and maintainig a website and the servers underneath. The website is for academic purposes hence the need for a free OS ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Which Linux distribution is best suited for AMD64 based servers

Dear all,

I have just started a job running and maintainig a website and the servers underneath.

The website is for academic purposes hence the need for a free OS -Linux. It mainly acts a repository for academic programs and the tutorials for those programs. Certain authors will ftp the latest versions otherwise we mirror their websites or download it ourselves. It is reasonably busy with people downloading various programs.

One of the servers is up and running and I shan't fiddle with that too much. The replacement main server which fell over and pretty much needs to be started a fresh has the following hardware.

AMD 64 - 3500
    2x512Mb Crucial RAM
    MSI K8T Neo FIS2R mother board
    1 Hitachi SATA 165 Gb hard drive
    Adaptec 29160 SCSI controller
    Transtec SCSI Datasilo - 4 bays: a total of 6x300Gb Seagate SCSI disks
    2 x Intel Pro 100 ethernet
    Chieftec HPC-340-201 ATX 12v - power supply - does that need to be greater?
    MX-4000 T128 - AGP graphics card
    A NEC DVD drive

What is the best available Linux or free OS distrubution for the current hardware and the tasks the server has to deal with?

It currently has Fedora Core 5 installed. But I have to hand a full version of SUSE 10.1 (which is the distribution I am most familiar with, but I am far from being any Linux guru) and people mention Debian based distros such as Ubuntu or Debian itself.

Thanks
    Will

Any major distribution will work for that setup. The differences between most popular Linuxes are mostly cosmetic or philosophical. Try several and use what works for you.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants