Find the answer to your Linux question:
Yes I've RTFM, searched forums til I'm blue, reconfigured til my head is sppinning and I still can't share files between my computers. I'll try to be both thorough and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

MDK10 + Samba + Shorewall = I'm in Hell

Yes I've RTFM, searched forums til I'm blue, reconfigured til my head is sppinning and I still can't share files between my computers. I'll try to be both thorough and brief, if someone cares to help a Linus noob I would be very grateful.

The setup: Mdk10 box, eth0 > cable modem, eth1 > switch (local network w/two w2k boxen), ICS set up and working (only took two days :-( ). LinNeighborhood shows the MDK box and shares but no winboxen or shares, winboxen don't show MDK box or shares in "Computers Near Me". First I tried to set things up with the MDK configuration tools, then tried editing .conf files by hand, then tried Webmin, all with no success. My best clue so far (I think) is my nmbd log, which tells me "Samba name server MDK10BOX is now a local master browser for workgroup WINBOXEN on subnet xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx" the subnet address being my dhcp supplied address from my ISP. Seems to me this is wrong but I can't figure out how to change it. I suspect Shorewall isn't properly set up, but if I shut it down it kills the ICS, and I still get no Samba love.

I apologize in advance for my noobness, I really tried to figure this out on my own but I'm whipped.

How do you get your internal IP's are they static or DHCP? Can you ping the machines from each other? Is the server in a DMZ or is it inside the network? Are all the machines on the same network eg.. Same ip range not differnt ones like so 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.1.2? Is you MDK box the router caused above it shows MDK,eth0>modem is that right?

Just Joined!
    Thanks so much for your reply, although typically right after I cry for help I get it figured out. It was my Shorewall settings, I just needed to open ports 137:139 to tcp and udp and everyting is working perfectly now. This is so encouraging maybe soon I can ditch these stinking winboxen for REAL operating systems.

Thanks again for your offer of help, Giro, next time you see me here acting stupid, just wait 24 hours and maybe I'll get it on my own

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close