Find the answer to your Linux question:
Just curious, how many people here use their Linux box as both a server and their main desktop? What are the advantages/disadvantages associated with doing this? I ask because I've ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

How many run as desktop AND server?

Just curious, how many people here use their Linux box as both a server and their main desktop? What are the advantages/disadvantages associated with doing this? I ask because I've been thinking about doing it myself.

Thanks!
    Flies of a particular kind, i.e. time-flies, are fond of an arrow.

Registered Linux User #408794

Linux Enthusiast
    I don't have it combined.

My server runs standalone.
    That way, no matter what I do on my desktop machine, the server runs uninterupted. The more you do on your "work"-machine, the more it could delay the server function if you combine both.

Quote Originally Posted by Redman
    I don't have it combined.

My server runs standalone.
    That way, no matter what I do on my desktop machine, the server runs uninterupted. The more you do on your "work"-machine, the more it could delay the server function if you combine both.
    It's even worse the other way round; if you've got server stuff running on your desktop taking oomph away from the latest 3D game, you could end up with jaggy performance or just plain getting fragged because of lag caused by stuff running in the background. It's surprising what simple services will run sweetly on a crappy old P3 or even PII machine sat on the lan somewhere. Offload it all to a sever, that's what I say.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/