Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, how much safe you think samba is if used over the internet, we have a server over the internet and we want to use samba so that our office ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

re using samba on internet

Hi,
    how much safe you think samba is if used over the internet, we have a server over the internet and we want to use samba so that our office users using laptops and always on the move from one place to another can access using file browser in windows. will it be safe to implement samba with password authentication over the internet.

plzz help

Linux Enthusiast
    No, use a VPN connection and then use SMB/CIFS.

Agreed. If you have a samba share on the internet weather it is password protected or not it will be hacked. I strongly suggust that you set up a VPN server to allow virtual access to your network from your road warriors. From there they can access any of the network resources.
    Registered GNU/Linux User #399198
    'Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.' -Steven Wright

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    An alternate solution would be to use SSHFS to mount shares (instead of Samba). Would be much more secure then Samba, that's for sure.
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee

re using samba on the internet )part quatro)

Quote Originally Posted by linux_unlimited
    Hi,
    how much safe you think samba is if used over the internet, we have a server over the internet and we want to use samba so that our office users using laptops and always on the move from one place to another can access using file browser in windows. will it be safe to implement samba with password authentication over the internet.

plzz help
    I was reading this post and thought I would throw in my two cents (I expect change) Anyway, the solutions these users are presenting you are good frrom two stand points. Look at it like this, the time it takes your admin (whatever you call them) to integrate a new software solution into the servers architecture will not be cost effective compared to buying a VPN in the box and integrating that into the network. Your looking at researching the best possible software solution for your server and then putting into production. That means DAYS! As far as going to a retail / wholsale store and buying a new VPN Solution from Netgear or Linksys and integrating that your talking about HOURS not DAYS. Question is, how much money you got?