Find the answer to your Linux question:
ok im not exactly a linux noob but im not to crafty in the ways of linux. ive read several articles i found with google searches and im having a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

seting up a network file/print/dhcp/nat server HELP!

ok im not exactly a linux noob but im not to crafty in the ways of linux. ive read several articles i found with google searches and im having a hard time determining the best route to take.

so to bring my question ill describe what id like to do. i would like to take an older computer of mine and slap a nice fat hard drive and an extra 10/100/1000nic into it. i would like to have the shares avalible to all my other computers which will be a mixture of windows(2k pro and xp pro) and linux. id like my HTPC to store all its recordings onto the file server(htpc will be running MythTV). id like the server to act also as a DHCP server for my network as a few of my friends come over regularly and aren't technacly minded to have to deal with switching back and fourth from DHCP to static ips. and lastly but absolutly most important. i would like this system to act as a NAT.

ok so i know im going to be getting my hands into SAMBA but am not sure if with the situation im aiming for wether it would be best to have it setup as PDC or just another share on the network. my wife is not very technical so the simpler i can make it for her to access shared files the better she is good at remembering passwords so thats not an issue. i think im leaning to PDC setup because i feel it would allow more automation of initating shared resources but i need advise.

alright the next question is what software suite will give me the easiest configuration for NAT services. we play online games and use a pop3 email service. i previously had a proxy server running in WIN 2k and it was a PITA to get most things working properly so i definatly prefer NAT.

and finally lets be honest static ips are a pain if your network changes regularly which mine does. so i would like this system to run DHCP services and have it automatically assign this system as the network default gateway.

so now that you know where im comming from here, the questions are What mode in Samba will work best for my network PDC or non domain, what software packages are recommended for the easiest configuration but reliable NAT and DHCP services. and do you have links to any guides that are easy to understand to configuring these services.

Here's my advice... Dont do this. You'll probably find it much easier to offload your NAT and DHCP to another machine - get a really old Pentium or PII machine with a small (<2GB will do) hard disk (you can often scrounge these kinds of machines or get them for pennies off ebay). Put two network cards in and put smoothwall on it and use it for your firewall, NAT and DHCP needs of the house. It'll have a really small PSU in it, so you can leave it on permanently.

Then set up your real machine to hold user accounts and shared file space. If you're doing this just for the space, then you only need Samba in workgroup mode - that means that accounts are held locally on windows machines and mirrored on the Linux computer. You can use NIS for user/group sharing to any Linux machines, and you can even NFS-share home directories.

Give everyone an account on the Linux machine, and map their Windows user names to their Linux user names in the samba config. If they dont have usernames on their Windows machines, then tell them they've got to or they cant have access to shared network resources.

Upward options from here?

You could put game servers on the server machine and forward the relevant ports on the smoothwall/firewall box to it, and enhance your gaming experience.

If you're getting regular connections from outside, get a static IP address, which will let you connect to the same point in internetspace really easily.

You could also go down the more complex route of setting up a windows domain using LDAP accounts on the server to run the authentication system behind it (this is nice, but is pretty complex).

You may want to look at some kind of local email system for the server, and get a mail feed set up from the outside. This is a lot easier if you have a static IP address.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Just Joined!
    as for seting up the game servers localy, thats not realy going to happen we mostly play MMORPGs. and the reason for my file server is 1 the space but more or less that its universaly accessable. id actualy like to have it mount automaticly in both windows and linux. i know in win i only have to set it to map network drive and thats done. would you happen to know a farily clear howto on configuring samba server? and prehaps a link to smoothwall which ill consider tho id much rather have everything consolidated to one system but well see how it goes.

I've always found that the basic /etc/samba/smb.conf file is pretty well documented - you should be able to configure Samba just by working your way through that (I did the first time I did it). But there's plenty of documentation around for samba configs, just take a look through google... But the official (and quite helpful) samba howto collection is here and some sample configs are here.

I posted the link to smoothwall in my previous post, btw.

Just Joined!
    ok well i hate to dredge up an essentialy closed thread BUT ok ive ben looking at FreeNAS as an os for my server but it doesnt particularly mention dhcp or nat services. im wondering if anyone knows of a fairly lightwieght server OS that will provide samba cups dhcp and nat all at once and preferably with network accessable configurations as the server is going to be standalone without kbd mouse or display.

Just Joined!
    Hi.

Have almost the same at home and I use this one:

Linksys NSLU2

http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satel...VisitorWrapper

http://www.nslu2-linux.org

I tranfered (unslug) the flash image to a 160GB USB.

It have a lot of packages and it have samba for sharing and I use it as a torrent client, media-server and for sharing disk to win-users.
    http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Optw...slung.Packages

U can have other OS on it with more packages.

Might not fix all of our requests, yet.

And it can be on for 24/7.

/Kurre

Quote Originally Posted by ssjwizard
    ok well i hate to dredge up an essentialy closed thread BUT ok ive ben looking at FreeNAS as an os for my server but it doesnt particularly mention dhcp or nat services. im wondering if anyone knows of a fairly lightwieght server OS that will provide samba cups dhcp and nat all at once and preferably with network accessable configurations as the server is going to be standalone without kbd mouse or display.
    I run CentOS in that configuration. Any of the main Linux distros will do what you want here - you dont need to install any of the X tools or services, and run at a text-only runlevel, and it'll be very lightweight.

Of course, if you do that, you'll probably end up doing what I did and bung X, Gnome, KDE, XFCE and vncserver onto that machine so you can have it do things that you dont do on your desktop (such as filesharing, or email, maybe web serving, ftp, ssh services...)