Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have been reading for 2 weeks on how to setup a home web server with fedora6 but none of the sites i have read really do not deal with ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Fedora 6 and DDNS address setup

I have been reading for 2 weeks on how to setup a home web server with fedora6 but none of the sites i have read really do not deal with using DDNS. I have a DDNS provider and will be using DDClinet but have a couple of questions that I know that are dumb.

In the reading they keep talking about static IPs, do I just skip that part since I am using DHCP?

Do I still need to edit some of the files (/etc/host, /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0), seems i would leave these alone since I am DHCP and no static IP.

If I do not need to edit those files does DDclinet add the needed lines and stuff to make the server work?

I am a Windows person but slowing making the change as the software I use becomes runnable on Linux (I mostly write code) but I am trying to help a friend out with doing a home web server for his Linux class.

Thanks,

Dave

Fedora 6 and DDNS address setup

Quote Originally Posted by ChaosTheory
    I have been reading for 2 weeks on how to setup a home web server with fedora6 but none of the sites i have read really do not deal with using DDNS. I have a DDNS provider and will be using DDClinet but have a couple of questions that I know that are dumb.

In the reading they keep talking about static IPs, do I just skip that part since I am using DHCP?

Do I still need to edit some of the files (/etc/host, /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0), seems i would leave these alone since I am DHCP and no static IP.

If I do not need to edit those files does DDclinet add the needed lines and stuff to make the server work?

I am a Windows person but slowing making the change as the software I use becomes runnable on Linux (I mostly write code) but I am trying to help a friend out with doing a home web server for his Linux class.

Thanks,

Dave
    Dave, have you looked at
    1) http://www.linuxhomenetworking.com/l...ns-dynamic.htm or
    2) http://www.redhat.com/magazine/022au...res/webserver/
    Let me know when you have read those sites out and if they were any help.

Just Joined!
    yes and i had printed out the stuff too. i thnk the problem is that i am trying to take bits and put them together from different places and trying to go from how windows work to how linux works. but the good thing is that when windows dies after Vista i will be ready.

I really like the paper on how to forge (http://www.howtoforge.com/installing..._fedora_core_6)

but it does not say how to deal with a DHCP router. The project has changed some now it is going to be a mini-setup (a router, linux server and XP box) so i think i can go static and turn the DHCP off on the router, right?

Thanks,

Dave

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I may be misunderstanding your use for the device. Are you saying that you want the Linux box to be the actual router on the network (2 ethernet interfaces) and one interface will recieve the DHCP from your ISP and the other for your local subnet / subnets. Or that you want to use an upstream router i.e. Netgear, Linksys, etc and have both boxes behind that router? I just want to make sure we are both on the same page.

If you have a router, either turn off DHCP and set the server to
    a static IP or set the server to a static IP outside the range of
    addresses used by DHCP. This way, other boxes connected to
    the router could continue to use DHCP while the server is static.

If you are lucky, the router may have a DDNS client built in. My
    Linksys supports Dyndns and some others. Otherwise, ddclient
    can be configured to fetch the public IP address from your router,
    per the ddclient documentation.

The reason the server must have a static IP address is because you must
    configure the router to send incoming traffic to the server. In other words,
    if you are running a web server, configure the router to forward port 80
    traffic to the server's IP address. If you used DHCP, the server's address might
    change with each reboot, and the port forwarding would be to the wrong
    address.