Find the answer to your Linux question:
i have a question! i have tried to configure my own smb.conf and some things run but not all! ähhm, i have 2 pc connected! one with winxp and one ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

troubles with samba:(

i have a question! i have tried to configure my own smb.conf and some things run but not all! ähhm, i have 2 pc connected! one with winxp and one with linux mandrake 10.0! at this time its possible to mount the winxp pc to see the shares from the pc! but theres a problem!

i cant see the linux pc from the windows pc and also on the linux pc its not possible to see the other pc in konqueror with smb:// or linneighborhood!! well i have also no idea how to configure a printer connected on the winxp pc from linux!!

bah plz help iam really a noob, unfortunately

Just Joined!
    has no one an idea hmpf

Linux Newbie
    http://www.samba.netfirms.com/index.htm

This quick howto tells you how to setup samba conf file, users and passes. The printer sharing...I never did accomplish that myself yet either
    If you love something, emerge it

Just Joined!
    thx for the link! now i have only one more problem! my windows pc cant see my linux computer! (

Linux Newbie
    make sure you have netbios name setup to what you want it (i made mine simply 'server') and the workgroup is in there right. If you didnt change windows' workgroup, make it MSHOME (I believe thats default )

Once done, and you restarted samba (/etc/rc.d/init.d/smb restart or wherever it is on your distro), go to My Network Places in XP and on the left side, you should see 'View all network computers' Click that and you should see the server...click on it and login with your samba username/pass u created.

Just Joined!
    thats crazy! i cant see the win pc from the linux and visa versa! but if i search for the linux pc by IP i find the pc and can navigate to him

iam also able to mount the winpc from linux!

but it would be nice if could see the pc's automatic

this is my samba at the moment!

# Global parameters
    [global]
    workgroup = Arbeitsgruppe
    netbios name = Server
    encrypt password = yes

[homes]
    read only = no
    browseable = No

[share]
    path = /mnt/share
    browseable = yes
    read only = no

[printers]
    comment = All Printers
    path = /tmp/spool/cups
    guest ok = Yes
    printable = Yes
    print command = lpr -P%p -o raw %s
    lpq command = lpstat -o%p
    lprm command = cancel %p-%j
    use client driver = Yes

Linux Newbie
    Last thing I can think of is make sure your firewall on your linux pc (if you have one setup) allows incoming connections to your samba port.

Just Joined!
    i have running a proxy server! could this cause problems??

Linux User

wins

this network browsing uses WINS. and in a nutshell WINS is crap. it is the main problem with MS networks - and why they have such a bad name.

Set your samba server to be a wins server which requires something like.
    wins support = yes

but before doing this try pinging each pc from the other by IP address and by Netbios name.
    you can also try doing a lookup

nmblookup -b mycomputername

try man nmblookup for more options. I would say that this is certainly a name resolution problem. you can also try smb://mycomputername in the Konqueror and \\mycomputername on the windows box. both of these should work.
    No trees were harmed during the creation of this message. Its made from a blend of elephant tusk and dolphin meat.