Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello everyone: I have a Debian 3.1 box set up using an ssh compiled version of Netatalk to serve MacOS 9.x and OSx clients. The server is working very well ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Easy way to change Debian shell account password via MacOS?

Hello everyone:

I have a Debian 3.1 box set up using an ssh compiled version of Netatalk to serve MacOS 9.x and OSx clients. The server is working very well - all of my test accounts can log in and the pasword is encrypted.

I'm wondering if there is an easy way to change a user's shell account password without having to install a telnet program on their machine, have them telnet in, log in, and issue the change password command.

MacOS (at least the 9.x clients) display a change password button, but I get an error message that the password cannot be changed.

Would there be a way to do this via a web browser, perhaps?

What I want to do is to assign all of the users (about 40 of them), and give them all the same password, and then have them log in and change it to whatever they want.

Any help or insights would be MOST appreciated.

Many thanks!

I'm not too familiar with Netatalk - how do they login? You mentioned ssh, is this commandl line?

Just Joined!
    Thanks for trying to help! In my afpd.conf file for Netatalk, I'm using the
    -uamlist comment, and have enabled uams_dhx.so authentication between the Mac clients and the Netatalk server.

I'm sure if I would allow passwords to be sent in the clear, it would be possible, but because I want the server to be secure, perhaps an exchange cannot be done without actually logging into the server via the shell account.

Let me ask this ... is there a way that I can invoke a telnet session from ... say... a web browser? I want to avoid having users install another program on their machines, but that might be the only way to do this.

Appreciate the help!

I want to avoid having users install another program on their machines
    The OS X users at least already have a program that comes with their default installation - Terminal. They can ssh in and change their passwords using it.

If you want this to be secure, you don't want to be using telnet.

Just Joined!
    Thanks anomie - I found the SSH program today, and was able to do it. I meant to type in SSH in my last message and not telnet - I'm writing these messages too late at night!

Thanks again for the help.