Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am stuck and need help. I have UBUNTU server running with SAMBA. Eth1 is connected to Switch and Eth0 to internet. my server ip is 192.168.2.1, i have a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Connecting to SAMBA via Router...

I am stuck and need help.
    I have UBUNTU server running with SAMBA. Eth1 is connected to Switch and Eth0 to internet. my server ip is 192.168.2.1, i have a wireless router connected to switch, the ip address that it gives out to my Laptop is in range 192.168.1.0,
    I am able to browse internet on every workstation include one connected to wireless router. I got SAMBA to work and able to view share folders from the work station connected to switch. But i am not able to view share folders thru my Laptop (which is connected thru wireless router). I have same setting like workgroup name and setup username and password also. but my laptop is not able to see SAMBA server. It is able to see when i connect by hardwire to switch. With router in between i have two internal networks but i am not able to set these to see SAMBA.
    Anyone who can help me.

that means that your laptop is on another network right "because is separated by a second router? the laptop is alone right

there might be a routing issue in which one of your networks is not advertising

can you tell me about the other router ?
    did you ping the server?
    ping from server to laptop?
    use search in windows, type the server ip and see what appears?

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by ls354
    that means that your laptop is on another network right "because is separated by a second router? the laptop is alone right

there might be a routing issue in which one of your networks is not advertising

can you tell me about the other router ?
    did you ping the server?
    ping from server to laptop?
    use search in windows, type the server ip and see what appears?
    yes, laptop is on seperate network.
    The other router is linksys wireless router.
    i ping server from laptop and was successfull.
    I tried to ping the laptop ip but was not successfull. In fact i tried to ping the router but that was not successfull either. My route -n command does not have entry for the router ip. I added it but was not still able to ping. After adding the route entry (thru route add command) i did not bring down and up server eth1 may be that was the reason i do not know.
    Please help.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close

Whats the "os" on your laptop

If you are running Windows on your laptop try the following
    1-go to start
    2-use search
    3-type the ip from your server
    4-server should be listed

Maybe you have done this or not, but try it/ go to your laptop and get your default gateway, then get the ip on your server, also can you post them?

The problem most likely is located on your wireless router, I see that on cisco routers when one of the many protocols wont announce its route like
    RIP
    OSPF
    IGRP
    EIGRP

Just Joined!
    I will do it and post my reply.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by ls354
    If you are running Windows on your laptop try the following
    1-go to start
    2-use search
    3-type the ip from your server
    4-server should be listed

Maybe you have done this or not, but try it/ go to your laptop and get your default gateway, then get the ip on your server, also can you post them?

The problem most likely is located on your wireless router, I see that on cisco routers when one of the many protocols wont announce its route like
    RIP
    OSPF
    IGRP
    EIGRP
    When i searched for my server ip from my laptop, it found it and when i double clicked SAMBA asked for username and password. After i entered the correct info Wollah!!!
    I saw the directories.
    ls354 Thank you, Thank you, Thank you.

My next exploration is SECURED REMOTE SAMBA. Let see where i go with that. I am doing some reading on OPENVPN, looks promising but more effort is needed in configuring.

Glad that I was able to help you

Well enjoy your network, if you ever need something else come back to the forum or send me a message. Good for you vpns have saved my life, just keep everything organized and you should do well.