Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have Verizon with a Westell Versalink router. Am trying to get a simple web server running. If I use the Simple Static setting, nothing can get through from outside--but ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

web server and Verizon Westell Versalink

I have Verizon with a Westell Versalink router. Am trying to get a simple web server running.

If I use the Simple Static setting, nothing can get through from outside--but all the same, the setting says that it's port forwarding into 192.168.1.32 (which seems to be my box). So after trying that with a few combinations of other stuff, I've given up on that idea. I can't write localhost or 192.168.1.32 or anything to get to the server when Simple Static is set, so I'm leaving that disabled.

I know Apache works. To set it up I changed only two things:

Listen *:80

and

ServerName 192.168.1.32:80

About the above, I did have ServerName originally as the PPP I had identified from whatismyip.com. I don't know if that's the right way to do port forwarding--I later concluded that it was not the correct way, and changed it to 192.168.1.32. But I may be wrong. I know that even when I had the ServerName setting reading the other way, I was still able to use "192.168.1.32" from another machine on my network to be able to view an index page inside /var/www/html. So, how do I set those two items up on the .conf file?

I also noticed that I could write in

Listen 192.168.1.32

and get results, but I could never write

[PPP from whatismyip.com]:80

and get a web page.

Beyond this, I noticed that the Westell Versalink offers a large assortment of services for everything from http (on port 80), to a whole bunch of networked games and NetMeeting, AIM, etc. So I set it to "World Wide Web (HTTP)," and it thus reports in the 192.168.1.1/nat.htm Westell configurations page that I have a World Wide Web (HTTP) Port Forwarding to Host Device 192.168.1.32. And the Versalink firewall says it allows incoming and outgoing Port 80 traffic.

(What about a Red Hat firewall, though? Is there one, and if so, how do I look at it to check the settings on that?)

But I cannot get to a web page other than by typing 192.168.1.32, or localhost--either from the server box or from the networked laptop.

I can't use the PPP to get to the server.

(This was much simpler a few years ago when I was able to run Apache on Windows NT (I know, unadvised) through a 56kbps modem. All I did was set both Listen and ServerName to the dynamic IP as reported in ipconfig.)

Thank you for any help that you can provide.

As far as I know, Verizon (unless you have a business line) blocks incoming requests on port 80 and forbids web servers. Sorry, but looks like your ISP won't like it if you set up a web server. You could be sneaky and use a different port, but I will not be responsible if your ISP catches and bans you.

Edit: Oh, and welcome to the forums!
    Registered GNU/Linux User #399198
    'Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.' -Steven Wright

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by yourname3232
    As far as I know, Verizon (unless you have a business line) blocks incoming requests on port 80 and forbids web servers. Sorry, but looks like your ISP won't like it if you set up a web server. You could be sneaky and use a different port, but I will not be responsible if your ISP catches and bans you.

Edit: Oh, and welcome to the forums!

Thank you very much for replying to my post. I don't plan on using it as more than a temporary server over the course of a few days at most; just so I don't have to lug a heavy thick-gauge steel box several miles across town to show an application.

What port would you recommend I try under such circumstances?

Thanks again.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close