Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am a somewhat experienced Admin for Windows backup systems. I am looking to find a solution for Linux. Currently I have a small business client who backs up data ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Backups Internet/Network

I am a somewhat experienced Admin for Windows backup systems.

I am looking to find a solution for Linux. Currently I have a small business client who backs up data from local and remote users through both the Internet and Locally to the server. We use Backup Exec by Veritas/Symantec on a Windows 2000 platform. I feel that both security and reliability would be increased with Linux. The specific Distro is not set in stone but I am leaning to either RH 9 or maybe Mandrivia.

What are reliable Linux solutions. I am not adverse to a Commecial product that runs on Linux. I have done some searches but mainly I get tons of pages for companies that offer offsite backups as opposed to the software to do this for my client.

Thanks for any information or recomendations to check out.

Bill

amanda is what I use here at work, it's free and pretty powerful.

not sure if you still have windows backup systems using backup exec and have a linux server with stuff that needs backed up. If you do then backup exec has a linux client that is free and easy to install and located in the install folder for backup exec.

But if you are trying to use linux as your backup server then amanda would probably be the way to go.