Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I am trying to setup a small office network. I have done a fair bit of research and reading, leant a fair bit also. This is what I would ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Small office network setup help

Hi,

I am trying to setup a small office network. I have done a fair bit of research and reading, leant a fair bit also. This is what I would like to achieve.

Access to the Internet would be either Cable/DSL or a leased line, I would prefer a leased line, but depends on the cost.

All servers would be running debian, which I have installed and running pretty good on a standalone box.

From the Internet, I would like to run a gateway/router/firewall server.

I would like to host an authoritative DNS server (ns1.kitsonik.com) and for my ISP to host the second server. (ns2.kitsonik.com)

I would like to host and run a web/ftp server (www/ftp.kitsonik.com) and a mail server (mail.kitsonik.com), where friends can log and send/receive email. ISP to host a backup mail server.

I would like to be able to access the Internet from inside the internal network, and keep it secure.

I have designed a network, which I have attached. Can anyone tell me if, the way the network is setup on the diagram, it would work ok? Or do I need to add/remove bits? Swap things round?

Any help would be greatly welcome.

Regards

Kevin

Linux Guru
    Good diagram

Your current setup would only give you 1 external IP address by the looks of things, with your current setup the rest of the world would see sam, ion and gate.kitsonik.com as the same machine. I would recommend purchasing a business class 4 port router that can handle multiple external IP addresses on one physical external line, this would replace gate. "ion" would plug directly into one of the internal ports on this router, which would be setup as a DMZ -> ion would be able to have an external IP assigned because the router would do bridging for this connection rather than NAT. "sam" would have 2 network cards, 1 plugs into the router, the other into the internal hub as you've illustrated.

Jason

Just Joined!
    Hi Jason,

Many thanks for your reply. Is there a router that you would reconmend?

Thanks

Kev

Linux Guru
    There is not one that i would particularly recommend, I belive the ISP I work for offer an Alcatel 510 or 512 or something along those lines (im not 100% sure I got the model no right) for customers in situation like these.

Before attempting to implement a network like that, it would be benifical to you to have a good understanding of TCP/IP, routing, how routers work etc - that setup is a bit more complicated to configure than your average home "point and click" network.

Jason