Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I have SQUID running on two systems, acting as servers. The problem, recently, I faced was...One of the SQUID caching server (say SERVER1)crashed...and is no longer operative. Can any ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Lightbulb Switching SQUID servers....

Hi,

I have SQUID running on two systems, acting as servers. The problem, recently, I faced was...One of the SQUID caching server (say SERVER1)crashed...and is no longer operative.

Can any one help me on how can I forward all the requests (made to the SERVER1) to SERVER2 (having the SQUID cache server working)?

Regards,
    MK

You've got several options;

You could email everyone using the old proxy and tell them to change their proxy address to the new one or they cant have internet access (this is probably the best solution).

or

You could enable transparent proxying on the running squid system; I dont know how this will cope with requests to the other proxy.

or

You could get a different machine and install a new version of Linux+Squid on that, and give it the same IP address/hostname as the one that died, so nobody knows the difference.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Just Joined!
    Thanks a ton Roxoff.

Is it possible to have a different caching server for different application running on the same APACHE server ?

Quote Originally Posted by mradulkaushik
    Thanks a ton Roxoff.

Is it possible to have a different caching server for different application running on the same APACHE server ?
    I'm not sure I understand what you're asking. Surely you use squid to speed up and/or protect the LAN when the nodes of that lan are reading web pages. Squid caches web content, and provides it to the lan on demand, and does it using the HTTP protocol. It doesn't work on a per-application basis, and there's no point putting it on your webserver to speed up access to one site, 'cos you still only have the same bandwidth into and out of that machine.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/