Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi to all, I have a domain (mydomain.it). i got 10 public and a private lan with private ip all behind a router and a firewall Is there any tutorial ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

public and private ip in the same dns

Hi to all,

I have a domain (mydomain.it).

i got 10 public and a private lan with private ip all behind a router and a firewall
    Is there any tutorial or HowTo here about configuring a bind9 to resolve the name ?

for example i have www.mydomain.it that has a public ip and a private ip and so on for all ten public ip.

I don't know if i can write a single zone (mydomain.it) with all public and private ip.

Thanks

You set up a DNS server for your lan, and leave your hosting company to handle the public IP's.

Your private DNS server can provide whatever IP addresses it likes for the hostnames in its own domain - and it can provide them only for lookups from inside the lan; you can set it to forward all other requests to the public DNS services.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Just Joined!
    Thanks,

And is this true also for the reverse zone ?

I set my private server to make the reverse of my private lan and my provider has to set his server for the reverse of the public ip ?

Quote Originally Posted by acquadispillifitti
    Thanks,

And is this true also for the reverse zone ?

I set my private server to make the reverse of my private lan and my provider has to set his server for the reverse of the public ip ?
    Yes - its more tricky here, but as long as the reverse lookups either return a value from your own DNS server or from the public one, you should be fine.

Just Joined!
    Ok,

sorry but i would like to clear my dubts;
    Can i assign a private ip to all my internals pc and then use the router to nat some of them with public ip? Or am i wrong?

Also sorry for my english...i'm italian

Just Joined!

This May Help

This is a dns tutorial on setting internal and external dns with bind9

http://www.howtoforge.com/two_in_one_dns_bind9_views

It may be more that you are looking for, but it least it shows you the steps.

Just Joined!
    Thanks to all,
    I'll going to read that howto.

Bye

Quote Originally Posted by acquadispillifitti
    Ok,

sorry but i would like to clear my dubts;
    Can i assign a private ip to all my internals pc and then use the router to nat some of them with public ip? Or am i wrong?

Also sorry for my english...i'm italian
    Yes, you would normally assign all your internal machines an IP address on the same subnet in the private address space (192.168.x.x or 10.x.x.x, etc.) and put the gateway device on the same subnet to marshall access to the internet.

If you want to do complicated routing, you might find it easiest to make a firewall device using an old PC with two network cards in it, one for the internet and one for the lan. You can set the routing up yourself using the iptables stuff, or you could use a package like smoothwall which is an off-the-shelf firewall distro (and there are other distros that do a similar thing).

PS. you dont have to apologise for your English - I couldn't tell it isn't your first language.

Just Joined!
    Thanks to liquidsignal and to Roxoff,

Yes i said router instead of firewall, sorry.
    Tomorrow morning i'll try some configuration and then, if i'll find a valid solution, i'll write it here for other people, ok ?

Thank to all, bye

Acquadispillifitti