Find the answer to your Linux question:
Is there any way to set up my home network to have a Linux server that gets my emails from my pop-server then allows me to access that account from ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Can this be done?

Is there any way to set up my home network to have a Linux server that gets my emails from my pop-server then allows me to access that account from every workstation? I have a 98 an xp and 2000 ws running in a samba pdc domain. I want to avoid trying to remember which machine has an email i want to access. Please no "just access your email from one machine comments" I just want to know if it can be done and what it is called. Thanks in advance

Linux Enthusiast
    yes you can, it takes some skillz though. You need to set up your main linux box as an IMAP server (using qmail, or exim, or something like that), then have it autoretrieve your mail from the pop3 server with fetchmail. Then set up the clients to retrieve mail from the IMAP server, and all should go well. Setting up the IMAP server is the difficult part. Well, relatively, I have never done it, and I assume it might be easy, might be difficult.
    I respectfully decline the invitation to join your delusion.

Banned
    Yeah, what he said is the way to get it done.
    I have only used UW-IMAP and it works great.

Assuming you know your home IP, you could
    also setup SquirrelMail on top of the IMAP and
    remotely check your mail via a web interface.

The possibilities are literally endless.

Just Joined!
    Man thanks a lot. I will try when i get home tonight. I new it could probably be done. :P