Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi folks, I'm planning to build a LAMP server running Slackware 11.0 as OS. There will be no X-window on the server avoiding risk hole. To overcome the difficulty on ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Guru

About server config and admin

Hi folks,

I'm planning to build a LAMP server running Slackware 11.0 as OS. There will be no X-window on the server avoiding risk hole. To overcome the difficulty on searching Internet in case of need I'm prepared to connect a workstation via ssh to remote administrate the server. I have following point unresolved.

If installing webmin, postixadmin, etc. for easy-configuration/administration I still need X-windown unless using command lines throughout configuration/administration. Personally I prefer using command lines but their tutorial not easy to find.

What are your suggestions? Installing X on the server but without it started on boot? Just evoke it when needed? As convenience concerned one PC to work is better than running 2 PCs to do the same job.

If I'm compelled to run X on the server I'll install Xfce4, the light-weight desktop.

Comments and recommendation will be appreciated. TIA

B.R.
    satimis

My server runs headless in text mode runlevel (that's 3 on CentOS), but I have a full X install on this computer, and I use SSH to connect to it. It runs both VNC server and can use X applications over the SSH connection, this makes life very easy. If you're building a server like this, remember that hard disk space is very cheap, it can make it easy to put the tools on there that you might use, even if you dont leave them running for long periods.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Linux Guru
    Hi Roxoff,

Tks for your advice.

If you're building a server like this, remember that hard disk space is very cheap, it can make it easy to put the tools on there that you might use, even if you dont leave them running for long periods.
    The server which I'm now running for test has X and Xfce4, the light weight desktop, installed. They won't start at boot. I only start them on browsing Internet for help during configuring the server. Disk space is not my concern. Today they are cheap. What I'm concerned is risk hole and booting time.

If I have full X installed on the server. What will be the advantage for me running remote installation and configuration via a workstation at the beginning, keeping 2 PCs running at the same time. I think I need remote adminstration only at the time when the server is on full production. At the beginning I can do normal installation and configuration on the server.

Please shed me some light. Tks.

B.R.
    satimis