Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello to all the gurus, i am new to linux. i have some questions regarding to ssh and vsftp servers. i have fedora core 5 running in my machine. when ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Unhappy help for SSH and VSFTP

Hello to all the gurus, i am new to linux. i have some questions regarding to ssh and vsftp servers.

i have fedora core 5 running in my machine. when i finished install fedora core 5, ssh and vsftp are already with the system. Currently i want get vsftp server running, and at the same time i want to get the logging file in the vsftp. but no matter how i edit the vsftp.conf file accoring to the information from internet, the logging file still doesn't exist in the default directory(var/log/vsftp.log).
    i tried all kind of way to debug the problem, but still it is not working.
    here is some weird thing that happen in my computer. i tried use ps aux, it shows me all the process is happening in my computer. it showed that ssh and vsftp are running. i am able to access, download and upload to/from my server using winscp at the remove computer with the username and password that i have assigned to. i tried stop the vsftp service, then i am still able to do accessing, dowloading and uploading. But when i stoped ssh service, i can't access the server anymore. i was wondering am i actuall not using vsftp. can you guys explain to me the relation between SSH and vsftp? and how can i get a logging file?
    i appricate your help!!!

Just Joined!
    SCP, secure copy does not use VSFTPD, it uses sshd, so if you stop sshd the scp won't be able to work.

You normally have to create log files (if they do not exist) and give them proper permissions before the daemon can write to them.
    e.g. touch /var/log/vsftp.log -- then make the owner of the log file the same as the user that runs the daemon, and give him write access.

As mentioned, vsftpd has nothing to do with sshd.

Client tools / daemons:
    • ssh - secure shell, connects to listening sshd.
    • scp - secure copy, connects to listening sshd.
    • sftp - ssh ftp, connects to listening sshd with sftp subsystem running; this is not using the ftp protocol.
    • ftp - file transfer protocol, connects to listening ftp server (such as vsftpd).

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Thanks !! k_amisi

Just Joined!
    Thanks !!! Anomie