Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, is it possible to create a share folder in samba, which is only browseable by one user? I don't want the other users to see this folder in "My ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Samba folder browseable to specific users!

Hello, is it possible to create a share folder in samba, which is only browseable by one user? I don't want the other users to see this folder in "My network places" at all...

Thanks in advance,
    mousi

Yes it is.

IIRC, its just a matter of making the share declaration with 'browseable = no' and adding 'browselist = @<group>' or 'browselist = user1, user2,...,userN'

You do need to be certain that your user authentication is working correctly, though.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Just Joined!
    Hmm... that didn't work. I know that my user authentication works, because each user can see his home folder! Also I am using "valid users = user1" for this folder and this works fine too.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    I stumbled onto this when looking for the solution to the very same problem. What I came up with was this:
    [test]
    path = /backup/test
    valid users = test
    read only = no
    browseable = no

Then to connect to it enter in the path of the share ie smb://USER IN VALID USERS@SERVER/SHARENAME The share will not be visible to the network and only users in your valid users section can connect to it. I hope this helps anyone else googling for this.