Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello I have installed Samba 3 on Debian Woody, configured all the needed accounts and all to use it as a PDC, but I cannot join the domain with my ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Samba as PDC with Debian : domain network path not found

Hello

I have installed Samba 3 on Debian Woody, configured all the needed accounts and all to use it as a PDC, but I cannot join the domain with my Windows 2000 workstations.

I can ping the samba machine (by IP or NetBIOS name). I also can access it in windows explorer by typing "\\ip address" or "\\netbiosname", and i have read/write access to the shares. windows explorer adds a new domain in the tree view (network neighbourhood) and displays the server as being par of that domain. but if i click the domain icon, i get the "network path not found" message, the same I get when I try to make my windows 2000 join the domain.

I already tried lots of different suggestions i've found online, but none of them seems to solve that issue.

Do you have some ideas ?

Thanks a lot

Just Joined!
    I moved to samba 3, and that error is gone

The Win2000 client can see the domain now, but the password never matches (for root).

I tried to set "password backend" to smbpassdb and tdb and it still does not work

The machine account and all that stuff is added properly though...

Any suggestions please ?

Linux Newbie
    hmm did you have in your passwd file the following example

computername$:x:500:100::/dev/null:/bin/false

Where your computername = de computer you want to add to your domain.

If this ain't helping ask for some more. I've build also a domain with win2k, xp, nt4, linux, etc

Change also the number 500 to a number that not allready exists in your passwd file
    Computers Are Like Air Conditioners... They\'re both useless with Windows open!